• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby cockatiel behavior

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I just got a baby cockatiel that is 8 weeks old about a week ago. She was sold to me as fully weaned and eating on her own for 5 days according to the breeder. She basically didn't recognize any food other than millet spray when I got her. I've had to teach her what pellets and chop are and she eats both ok. But my main dilemma is she does the whole baby bird thing at least once a day with the screeching, head bobbing, wing Flipping etc. I've been feeding her wetted down pellets at night when she does this or pureed pumpkin.

Should I continue doing this or ignore this behavior? When I feed her from the spoon it quiets her down and she goes back to eating like a normal bird on her own.

I have read she will stop on her own between 10 and 16 weeks and she may have reverted to wanting to be hand fed with the stress of moving to a new home. Is this true? Looking for advice.
Pic is of her in full baby bird mode
OH-- SHE'S BEAUTIFUL! If I got a 'weaned' baby, I'd be overjoyed if it wanted to be handfed! That will help her bond to you-- also helps w/ trick and behavioral training... What a blessing! Enjoy your motherhood! ...Pat.

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
OH-- SHE'S BEAUTIFUL! If I got a 'weaned' baby, I'd be overjoyed if it wanted to be handfed! That will help her bond to you-- also helps w/ trick and behavioral training... What a blessing! Enjoy your motherhood! ...Pat.
Thanks. Yes it's been a blessing and a curse, lol. She is super clingy to me now and I have also been doing recall training with her and she flies right to my hand. So getting started early.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Thanks. Yes it's been a blessing and a curse, lol. She is super clingy to me now and I have also been doing recall training with her and she flies right to my hand. So getting started early.
That is WONDERFUL... Good job... Pat.

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Hope you have SMALLER PERCHES than just that one Manzanita one! Any bird stores in Madison? We're not too far from you [N of Stockton, IL] ...Pat.
Yes she has another one. I am also getting more perches from Amazon this coming week. I don't live in Madison anymore (haven't for about 7 years) , so I'm not sure. I'm in Hampton, va and frequent my bird store in Virginia Beach

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
She's absolutely adorable! Good luck!

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Just got a gram kitchen scale today and she's 86 grams! That was this afternoon. Will weigh her in the morning again. I also sent off her DNA sexing with iqbirdtesting.com. 20201028_173246.jpg Hoping it comes back female. I've just been going off what the breeder said. She's doing so well and doing the baby call less and less each day!

tiger1971

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jan Clark
I know it is a challenge, trial, and error. while some birds can talk, if only they could actually tell us what they want...lol I am hoping to get a CBC never had that kind of bird , so will be learning myself. Try to research the internet, sometimes gets confusing....lol

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
She was 86g again this morning! And her keel feels like there's normal development on both sides. She's building up her breast muscle daily by flying for sure

brdfvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
DNA sexing confirmed she's a FEMALE! so happy! I hope she learns to whistle. But read males are the main ones that vocalize not female. Any insight? She's so quiet, it's a nice change from having a conure

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Thats great news! The females are my favourite. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! :storkg:

tiger1971

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jan Clark
Just got a gram kitchen scale today and she's 86 grams! That was this afternoon. Will weigh her in the morning again. I also sent off her DNA sexing with iqbirdtesting.com. View attachment 359666 Hoping it comes back female. I've just been going off what the breeder said. She's doing so well and doing the baby call less and less each day!
Too cute!!