• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Cockatiel Bald Spots

Jhall6060

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jan hall
Help! Why are these babies so bald? Do you think mom is plucking their feathers? I’ve pulled them, now hand feeding. Still waiting to see if feathers start to grow back. I’ve never had this happen. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hopefully @Zara can help

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Jan,

Do you think mom is plucking their feathers?
That would be my best guess.

Did you have the parents tested before breeding to be sure they´re illness/disease free? If they are all healthy, then that would solidify a good guess that the parents did this.

Removing the chicks from the nest for hand rearing was the right thing to do.

Remember to keep your brooder a couple of degrees above what it normally would as their backs are bare and the cold can creep in there.

Hopefully the follicles weren´t damaged and the feathers regrow ok :fingerscrossed:

Jhall6060

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jan hall
Hello Jan,

That would be my best guess.

Did you have the parents tested before breeding to be sure they´re illness/disease free? If they are all healthy, then that would solidify a good guess that the parents did this.

Removing the chicks from the nest for hand rearing was the right thing to do.

Remember to keep your brooder a couple of degrees above what it normally would as their backs are bare and the cold can creep in there.

Hopefully the follicles weren´t damaged and the feathers regrow ok :fingerscrossed:
Thank you