• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Caique, White bellied caique - Berkeley, CA

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
IMG_2905.jpg

Baby Caique, White bellied caique - Berkeley, CA

I am rehoming my sweet baby white bellied caique (I paid $2000 to get him two months ago).

Age and sex: This baby caique is a DNA sexed male about six months old.

Friendly and cuddly: He loves all people that he has met. He plays and cuddles on your fingers, lap, hands... Super sweet!

Training: I have clicker trained him to step up, fly to me on cue, flip to request to get out of cage, and to target.

Independent: He plays very well independently inside cage and outside the cage. Very acrobatic and comical.

Noises: He makes pretty whistles. He is not a screamer.

Great health: Last week he had his first well bird visit with an avian certified vet for which I paid $420. Good results on all tests. Clean bill of health!

The rehoming decision has been difficult. I am rehoming him *now* because it is a good time -- he is such a young sweet baby. He loves all people he has met. I even think he may very much like other caiques because he always acts friendly when he sees caique videos -- doing regurgitating motions, being more interested in me petting his head and playing with him with toys, etc. My concern is he dislikes my larger bird, and I worry that they both could suffer stress from conflict, or that one bird could even injure the other. Of the two, I think it will be easiest to rehome the baby caique, so that is what I am doing.

The rehoming fee is $1800. I want him to have the comfort of some consistency, so he will come with some food, toys, and his sleep cage that cost over $100.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am rehoming him *now* because it is a good time
I think members may better understand the why is now a good time when you have not had him all that long and he is still a baby.

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
I am rehoming him as a baby because other people will want him as a baby.

After months of research, I had thought it would likely be fine to have different species of parrot because they are so young. But the caique's body language and noises indicate he does not like having her anywhere in his field of view. I don't want this to progress to screaming or violence.

Otherwise, the caique is a great bird - healthy, plays independently, whistles, doesn't bite people, and he is responding very well to clicker training.

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
I am taking a pause on the rehoming idea. I think I may possibly be able to keep both birds safely -- I've started showing the caique videos of birds getting along which has resulted in a significant reduction of territorial noises and body language. Fingers crossed this will work!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I am taking a pause on the rehoming idea. I think I may possibly be able to keep both birds safely -- I've started showing the caique videos of birds getting along which has resulted in a significant reduction of territorial noises and body language. Fingers crossed this will work!
You can do it!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If you need input just ask us! We’re a friendly lot and most oldsters have experience juggling incompatible birds

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
So update? Did you end up keeping you're caique? Please tell me you didnt sell that bird?