• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Caique Quaking

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I don't have much experience with baby birds but am wondering if when he's quaking and kinda squawking because he's hungry? He's almost three months old and eats quite a bit but only the fresh foods, he seems to be avoiding eating his pellets. I'm worried he might still need to be hand fed? I've never done anything like that before. Anyone with Caiques, or baby birds in general have advice? I'm so worried about him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like he´s wanting a feed. It brings comfort to young birds.

Prepare some baby parrot formula as per package instructions and offer it on a small metal teaspoon.

@Irishj9

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi there,

If your caique is under three months then I would say it is extremely likely that he wants to be handfed. While it is common for babies that age to refuse formula and eat on their own they will often revert to wanting some handfeeding once moved to a new home. All the changes seem to set them back a bit. This can be avoided by having the handfeeder keep them a few more weeks. If that is not possible then you can offer them some formula from a spoon and it is very likely they may eat it. Since it is mostly for comfort I would not worry too much if he refuses but it is good to offer it. As Zara said see if you can get some formula for him. I'll post a video about feeding a baby that age. In the video I am using a syringe but a spoon or even a bowl of formula will be fine.

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
@Zara @Laurie Thank you so much.
Unfortunately his breeder a province away :(
My other birds have all been in adulthood when they came so I'm not used to babies, except for Mochi but he didn't have any problems.
I'll definitely go buy some hand feeding formula to give him. He's definitely a new experience that I might not have been fully prepared for. Thanks so much for the video I will definitely be using it.
:)

Just a question? His grip doesn't seem too steady, will it get stronger with age?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks so much for the video I will definitely be using it.
Try using a spoon first. Laurie has a lot of experience handfeeding baby birds, and it can look a lot easier than it is. A spoon is safer if you are new to this all :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
If you have a syringe or see one you should go a head and get it just in case that is what he is used to and you need it. Try the spoon first and then try some in a little bowl. If you do need the syringe then all you need to do it slowly dispense it into his mouth and let him swallow. Go very slowly and do not flood his mouth.

Also, It is possible he will keep begging for food but will not actually eat it, if he is eating regular foods then he will be fine. Be sure to provide whatever the breeder was feeding and also to provide soft food like veggies since they may tend to favor those over pellets.

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
If you have a syringe or see one you should go a head and get it just in case that is what he is used to and you need it. Try the spoon first and then try some in a little bowl. If you do need the syringe then all you need to do it slowly dispense it into his mouth and let him swallow. Go very slowly and do not flood his mouth.

Also, It is possible he will keep begging for food but will not actually eat it, if he is eating regular foods then he will be fine. Be sure to provide whatever the breeder was feeding and also to provide soft food like veggies since they may tend to favor those over pellets.
Thank you :)
I went out and got him the feeding formula and have started spoon feeding him. He ate quite a bit.
He screams almost all day while lifting his wings. Is he hungry or just scared? I'm completely new to this, sorry for all the questions

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Both probably. LOL you’ll get where you figure out when he’s hungry.

Also yes, his grip will get stronger. :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thank you :)
I went out and got him the feeding formula and have started spoon feeding him. He ate quite a bit.
He screams almost all day while lifting his wings. Is he hungry or just scared? I'm completely new to this, sorry for all the questions
Ask away. Handfed babies often associate hands and attention with feeding so he may beg for food when he really wants attention. I would try to offer food three times a day and see how it goes, if he isn't very interested and isn't begging then you can try to do it only twice and see how it goes.

I have found that they are often not very hungry when they first wake up if they at well before bed so keep that in mind and offer the food a hour or two after waking up.

Keep weaning foods in his cage all the time. You may notice he will eat more on his own after the handfeeding has made him more comfortable.

Babies will often beg when not really hungry but if you happen to catch them when they are hungry you will see that there is a special franticness that is exhibited by a truly hungry baby. It is almost desperation. You'll know it when you see it.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Laurie is of course correct as usual
I would add please look out for that head bobbing motion when the bird is feeding

It tells you he is swallowing and you are not forcing food down into his lungs!

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
He's been doing better, he's no longer begging for food. I'm worried we were starving him :(
He loves his feeding (I've been feeding him with a spoon but a lot of times he jumps onto the bowl and digs in himself) and has been nibbling on the pellets in his cage, and the chop. He's playing a lot more and starting to ask a lot less like a hungry bird. He's such a sweetie and the messiest eater.
Thank you @Laurie @finchly @Irishj9 for the help, I appreciate it so much.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Great news! Sometimes they need just a little extra tlc.