• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Buttons

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They are just adorable! Do you have to hand feed them all by yourself?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They have a little more independence, they are like chickens and can walk and forage within a short time of hatching. They do need guidance from their parents as to what to eat. Chickens are very diligent about looking out for their little ones. They also gets heaps of wing hugs :xflove:

California Quail 1. Photo by Tawny Capon.jpg

In captivity they can self feed from dishes easily. They also benefit with practice chasing crickets as a treat.

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Luckily Quail are MUCH easier than parrots! They don’t need to be handfeed. I do grind up their flock raiser crumbled feed in a coffee grinder to make it even finer since they are so small. Once they are older I will add in crumbled up freeze dried meal worms, and chop, plus finch seeds. As adults they LOVE live bugs too like crickets and mealworms. When they first leave the incubator I usually show them were water is by gently dipping the tip of their beaks in the water so they know where it is. I also “peck” the food with my finger and kick it around a bit so they learn where the food is :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That is so cool! I never knew any of that. They sure are cute little guys!!!