• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Buttons

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
I promised when I joined I would post pics of my baby button quail and totally forgot!!!

They are a month old now and I THINK both are girls. They are living in a 20 Long tank. It does have a lid and a low wattage bulb on one end while they grow incase they get cold, it was just off for pictures.

Hoping to order more eggs today so I will document the next hatch if anyone is interested!

49D4CB64-132A-46A2-B527-36664650BB09.jpeg BC3C41CD-A34F-4C5D-816B-D2665C4DFE42.jpeg 1C06F417-75EF-435B-8EB9-E6AF4EFA8C84.jpeg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They're so tiny! How big do they get?

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
They're so tiny! How big do they get?
They stay TINY. When they hatched they were literally the size of bumblebees. They are a month old now and about half way to adulthood. Here is a pic of the bigger one in my hand, and a pic I snagged from google (not my pic or bird) of an adult hen.

225D0A44-42F3-479B-BD3A-34BADFAAB332.jpeg E3A35D31-4477-482E-9BC2-8CBD6095C6C9.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They´re adorable!!!!!! How sweet!!! ❤❤❤❤

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are so cute! So small and round!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe yay! Congrats on the little babies! I look forward to watching them grow :)

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Im very interested to see the progress :)

I’ll be buying some buttons in the near future for our outdoor aviary :)
They are very common here in the Netherlands, there’s hardly any aviary found without some :)
That’s awesome! I would LOVE an outdoor aviary. I keep telling my husband to build one, but I think it’s pretty far down on his priority list :shifty: LOL!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So cute! :laugh-bounce:

Supposedly you can run them in the bottom of finch cages and they eat the dropped seeds. I haven't tried it.

So you order these eggs, online? They come in the mail??

And - that pic you snagged from the Internet, is that a special mutation or do they turn silver?

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
So cute! :laugh-bounce:

Supposedly you can run them in the bottom of finch cages and they eat the dropped seeds. I haven't tried it.

So you order these eggs, online? They come in the mail??

And - that pic you snagged from the Internet, is that a special mutation or do they turn silver?
I couldn’t find anyone who was selling them locally so I ordered through eBay. Lots of poultry hatching eggs are sold there believe it or not! The one in the picture is a mutation, they come in LOTS of colors. Mine look to be the wild type.

I do think many use them in mixed aviaries with finches, and other non aggressive small birds. They are bottom dwellers, so just hang out on the ground. I feel mine mainly game bird feed in crumbles, then supplement with finch seed, dried meal worms and occasionally live bugs (crickets or when they get bigger meal worms), and fresh chop as supplements :)

IttyBittyBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Laura
Well I got my eggs today!! These ones look better than the last ones so fingers crossed! A few were cracked and some were scrambled (aka the aircells were totally detached so unhatchable), but most were good! Maybe a third have damaged air cells, but I am trying to be positive! I am letting them rest tonight and will set them tomorrow AM in the incubator. I have 43 eggs that I will be putting in. SHipped eggs most say 50% hatch rate is lucky, so we shall see! I have LOTS of friends who are hoping to get some from me so really hoping for a good hatch!

Here are a few pics to show the size! Brown eggs is a medium sized chicken egg that I collected today. Smaller than grocery store eggs, but still a chicken egg! :xflove:

CB246FC8-7FA0-4F04-9D66-147002B8DC64.jpeg 3F3978D8-F2D6-4552-8E0C-7C3E75DB16B9.jpeg