• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Budgie

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
You have a wonderful set up, might I ask if your parrotlets are tame? Secondly are you looking to tame your budgie? As a young budgie, he is quite able to be tamed but with the birds around him it might pose a bit more of a challenge. Quite possible but they will (being frank here) pose a challenge. Birds will more readily respond to other birds before a human even if they are of a different variety. He is young and open to taming though. Just wondering.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
@FinchMaster My humble apologies..you know what you're doing..lol
LOL no need to apologize. I'd rather someone go over basics than assume someone knows them. :)

Nice set up. May i suggest you not put bird food on the cage bottom. It gets soiled quickly. One other question how many food dishes
are you filling?
The budgie has his food on the ground cuz that's where he was hanging out the most. The parrotlets have their water in the ground for now cuz I lost the uh whacha call it that you hang the stainless steel cup in.

Hmmm lemme see. The parrotlets have 2 split cups (so I can offer 4 different foods) and another cup for fresh food. The budgie has 3 plus an 'automatic' feeder for pellets and a little bowl for fresh food. Finches have 2 and 1 'autofeeder' for seeds.

Last edited:

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
...might I ask if your parrotlets are tame? Secondly are you looking to tame your budgie?
One parrotlet is tame (the female). The other was hand fed but not socialized beyond that when I got him. He's very skittish. However, having her has gotten him to be less afraid. I still can't handle him, but he let's me get closer.

I do plan on trying to tame him. Me and my husband visited him very often at the store as he was being raised by them. He's pretty skittish of hands, but he will sit on us. :)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
If he will sit on you that is a huge accomplishment considering he is new to your home. Was he hand fed? Getting used to your hand takes quite a bit of practice. To this day my little girl prefers my arm to my hand and when she flies to me it is to my shoulder and then makes her way to my hand. How is his flying? You don't mention if he is clipped or not? Training methods will vary depending on whether he is clipped. Hopefully not...lol.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
I'm not sure if he is clipped. I assumed the place would ask me my preference before I took him home, but they didn't mention it. He can't fly, and I'm afraid to get too close to inspect his wings. I don't wanna spook him. :/

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
To give you an idea,
If your bird looks like the wing on the left (but with more feathers) then they are unclipped/possibly partial clip
Wing on the right is clipped.
Oo1CFwT.jpg

Clipped;
budgiebehaviourtile.jpg

Unclipped;
budgie-3986100_960_720.jpg

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
It is pretty easy to tell if he is clipped, just look at Zara's pics above. If he is clipped then his long flight feathers will be missing. I know they really should have asked you but many places clip birds whether the future owners want that or not. It is a shame but it is what it is. He can't fly at all? Does he try? If he still had his flight feathers he should at least be trying to do some flying, albeit clumsily..lol.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! Budgies are crazy, fun and super sweet.
Also, I like the name Loki too- my yellow baby is also named Loki.

Have fun getting to know your new birb and can’t wait to see more pics of all your flock!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm not sure if he is clipped. I assumed the place would ask me my preference before I took him home,
I wish they would ask people... They don't care what people want, they think it is the best and only way to have a bird in your house... hopefully he will recover from that and learn to fly when his feathers grow again..
What did you call him?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Such a sweet little young budgie. Don't be surprised if it takes the better part of one year from re growth of flight feathers. In the meantime he will need extra safety precautions from you to watch out for him. Please do not allow him on the floor. Its a dangerous place for a baby bird that cannot fly. I suggest you get a nice, long ladder so he will learn to climb and in that way strengthen his legs. Encourage him to flap wings as an exercise also. He may do this himself without being taught.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@FinchMaster - a big welcome to you and this beautiful baby! :welcomesign:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Congratulations!! I can’t wait to see the pictures! ;)

Dorcas George

Pictures, please! :) What a sweet baby! I have one budgie who is clipped Frost) and one who isnt (Packer) and poor little Frost doesn't want to try. And now Packer wants to stay right next to Frost in the cage! I hope it doesn't take a year for our birds to get flight feathers! Frost does like his ladder!