• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Budgie

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
Hello, all! I just brought home my first budgie, and he's a baby. They waited until he was eating on his own before letting me take him, but he hasn't eaten since we brought him home at 2 PM yesterday (it's 10 AM now). He's very scared, and I'm so worried about him. He's never been alone before, and I'm worried this is causing him additional stress.

I've never had a baby parrot before, so maybe I'm just worrying for no reason... Any tips on how to make him more comfortable? He just started moving around the cage a little, and I've heard him chirp twice now for the first time.

I bought him all the same foods he was eating at the petstore. He also has perches low to the ground as he learns to use his wings.

Attachments

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Awww, he is adorable!!! Yes, it is very normal for budgies to not eat or drink when they are first brought home. The little guy is scared and in the wild eating and drinking make him vulnerable to predators. The fact that he has chirped and moving around is a good thing. Just talk gently to him through the bars of the cage but don't stare directly at him. Predators do that. Blink your eyes and look away. Try playing some happy budgie sounds from youtube to put him at ease. If it seems that he can't find his food try putting it in a small bowl on the bottom of the cage, same with water. Let us know how that goes and we can advise you further. Congrats on your new budgie and welcome to the Avenue.:hug8:

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's never been alone before, and I'm worried this is causing him additional stress.
Yes it does. If this bird was amongst others it will always feel somewhat alone. They are flock animals. With no flock. Why didn't you get 2?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I dunno why I didn't. Whenever I get parrots, I seem to get 1...and then buy them a friend later.

UPDATE: He's eaten some millet after I put a 30 minute budgie video (of happy budgie sounds) on repeat. :)

So get another one. :)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
lol...now being the owner of a solitary budgie one might think that I would take offense to the above post, but I don't. Budgies are flock oriented and this will always be true. However, if you do wish to be thought of as a member of their flock I believe that with a very young budgie (like this sweet baby) it is much easier to work with one at a time. They learn to bond and trust their owner much easier when they are young and solitary. Subsequently any new bird added down the line can be tamed much easier if they have a cagemate who is tamed and trusts his owner. Just my humble opinion.
Congrats on him eating millet. Sounds like he is getting used to his surroundings. Good job!

Dorcas George

Everyone has their ways of doing stuff. Yes, they really are flock birds. I tend to think that a second one is good. (Though Lori's bird seems to be doing quite fine.) My thoughts are to work with your little guy, and plan on adding another at some point. Just my two cents, and their are lots of more experienced budgie owners here. I'm glad to hear that the budgie sounds helped him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Loki is very young. What else are you offering him to eat? Try hanging some washed greens inside the cage from a bag clip on cage top. Also cook sweet potato and mash a small bit with millet seeds sprinkled on top. Do you have a big enough cage for two budgies?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
BTW, I love this forum xD
Me too!!:)
@Lady Jane raises some good points. You mentioned that you got Loki from a petstore but that you couldn't take him home until he was eating on his own. You also said that you bought all the same foods that they were feeding him. That is fine, now what exactly were they feeding him? Budgies need fresh veg as well, Kale, broccoli, lettuce (romaine is better) beet greens, spinach (in small quantities) parsley, and many more. Fruits are good too. Google fresh fruits for budgies. Now if he wasn't being fed any of this now is the time to start offering this to him. Millet is considered the candy of seeds but as you just wanted to get him to eat anything, it's a good choice. It is good for taming too. Now, for cage items...perches of varying sizes so his feet get excercise. Natural wood is best but rope perches are good too. Toys.. bells and ladders are always a good thing. Cuttlebone and mineral block are also needed. A swing...also most appreciated by your little friend. Once he has started navigating his cage he will probably feel safest on a higher perch. The cage should be wider rather than tall to encourage flight. You probably know all this but it never hurts to repeat it..lol. How is Loki doing? Settling in?

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
His cage is smaller than I prefer for my birds. As seen in the photos below, his is not as large as the others. The big hexagon one is the aviary (of finches), and his is next to it. The other cage is for my two parrotlets. When I get another budgie, I'll be upgrading.

I feed all my birds a rotation of greens (lettuce, chard, kale) mixed with frozen veggies (peas, corn, carrots, green beans), one type of fruit (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, or banana), and a cooked bird dish called 'bean cuisine' from the bird store. That's all mixed together into what I call 'breakfast' lol. All organic! 20191028_204125.jpg 20191028_204142.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice set up. May i suggest you not put bird food on the cage bottom. It gets soiled quickly. One other question how many food dishes
are you filling?