• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby budgie underdeveloped?

Darcie

Moving in
So I have had my budgie who I suspect is a male, for about a month, and he's around 2 months old but can't fly and has barely any wings or tail. I think he will be fine, just a late bloomer, but I want to make sure that he will be ok. Photo is attatched. Thankyou

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
What does he eat?
He is very cute.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
He doesn't seem to have any flight feathers. Was he clipped before you got him? If he was clipped, then he won't be flying at all until he molts - 4 or 5 months more at least. The tail feathers could have been accidentally pulled out or broken if he fell trying to fly.

If he was never clipped, and simply hasn't grown the flight feathers, or had some and lost then, then something is wrong. Polyoma virus (older budgie books call it French molt) will cause baby budgies to lose their flight and tail feathers. If this is the case, there's no cure but he can still live a fairly good life with some special care. I would stronly recommend you get him to vet to be tested so you know what you are dealing with. Also if he has Polyoma, it is very important that you don't expose him to other birds, especially a baby birds, unless they've been Polyoma vaccinated, since it is contagious.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh and I forgot - you said he's 2 months old and you've had him for 1 month. A one month old budgie is going to be starting to fly, so it's possible that the breeder or whoever you got him from did clip him before you got him - you really can't tell if he is clipped or whether his flight feathers fell out from disease when he has his wing closed.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
WOW, I never knew they weaned so soon