• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby budgie only wants millet

BelloBird

Moving in
Real Name
Andrea
Hello! I need some feeding advise as this is my first budgie. He’s seven weeks old. When we purchased him, we were told that he was fully weaned and had been refusing hand feeds for several days. I was shown a ZuPreem seed mix to purchase and told to make sure that he always has millet in the cage. I’ve noticed that he is 100% eating the millet and nothing else. I’ve tried to give him fresh veggies as well but they went totally unnoticed. I didn’t want to make any huge changes at first but now we’ve had him for six days and I really feel like it would be best to encourage more of the seed (ZuPreem)/pellet (TOP’s)mix and less millet. Is this correct or should I give him more time to adjust? He’s very active and sweet and we just want to do what’s best for him!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I really feel like it would be best to encourage more of the seed (ZuPreem)/pellet (TOP’s)mix and less millet. Is this correct or should I give him more time to adjust?
Follow your feelings and cut the supply of millet. It's unhealthy for him. It's great that he likes it because you can use it later as a training treat. Leave just the seed and pellets and just watch him from a distance. If he hasn't eaten in 3 hours (no more) just drop a little millet berry in his seed dish, and make sure he sees you do it. Then leave him. Alternate this between the seed and pellet dishes. It shouldn't take long for him to 'discover' these other foods while he hunts the millet.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
With the veggies, it will take a little work to get him there. Wait until he will comfortably eat seeds from his dish before really trying to get him to eat veggies. (You can offer them, but he likely won't try them).
Get him eating them as soon as possible, though. It's soooo much easier to get budgies to try something new when they are young. Romaine lettuce is a great thing to start getting your bird eating them. I got my budgie (who was maybe two months old at the time) eating lettuce, then spinich, then carrot all in one sitting. I'm now trying to convert him to pellets... It's a completely different story.
Good luck with this little bird, though!