• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby budgie learning to fly

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
DEF43F43-5A4D-4FA6-8999-FA8F5B476B10.jpeg
Hi! So I have an almost 6week old budgie (he’s about a week behind) and he’s starting to fly. It’s only been a couple days, but he’s crashed into the wall once (he’s also flown into it but he was able to recover and fly the other direction). The time he crashed he immediately dropped to the shelf that was under him, luckily he landed right into my box of tissues. He’s okay, but I’d like to prevent this from happening.

I’ve gotten a couple look-out perches that are meant to go on windows, and I’m hoping to stick it to my walls so he has somewhere else to land. Is there anything else I can do for him? He’s flying really good otherwise, but he hasn’t nailed the landing part yet :roflmao: :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think the most important thing for a baby learning to fly is safety in the flying room. At least his flight feathers were never cut off so he has a head start. Your parakeet should be let out for fly time for at least an hour or so every day. They will need your full attention during that time. Schedule time every day for you to watch your parakeet while it plays. Avoid distractions like cooking, household chores, or staying on your computer or phone. I will post a photo of a scarf holder from Amazon that my budgies adored. It easily can hang from the ceiling. It gives them a place to land that is high up which they like. I also bought a long bird ladder and train them to step up on the ladder when coming down. Birds dont learn to fly down very well for a while. Set up for budgies.jpg

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I think the most important thing for a baby learning to fly is safety in the flying room. At least his flight feathers were never cut off so he has a head start. Your parakeet should be let out for fly time for at least an hour or so every day. They will need your full attention during that time. Schedule time every day for you to watch your parakeet while it plays. Avoid distractions like cooking, household chores, or staying on your computer or phone. I will post a photo of a scarf holder from Amazon that my budgies adored. It easily can hang from the ceiling. It gives them a place to land that is high up which they like. I also bought a long bird ladder and train them to step up on the ladder when coming down. Birds dont learn to fly down very well for a while. View attachment 374977
Ooo I might have to look into that! Thanks!! I do give him a lot of “out of cage” time where he’s fully supervised, but he will only randomly take off :roflmao:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Oh phoenix is so cute! Congrats on learning how to fly!

Have a room that's safe for him, It should be big enough he has room to fly around with room to turn before a wall his hit. You already know this, but make sure windows and mirrors are covered. You can put blankets and pillows under the most often hit walls, so he will have a soft landing if he falls. Give him plenty of time to fly and figure out what he's doing, with landing stations all over.

You are doing so good! It's been so fun following phoenix's progression from a day old chick. :heart:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Oh phoenix is so cute! Congrats on learning how to fly!

Have a room that's safe for him, It should be big enough he has room to fly around with room to turn before a wall his hit. You already know this, but make sure windows and mirrors are covered. You can put blankets and pillows under the most often hit walls, so he will have a soft landing if he falls. Give him plenty of time to fly and figure out what he's doing, with landing stations all over.

You are doing so good! It's been so fun following phoenix's progression from a day old chick. :heart:
Thank you!! Will do!