• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby budgie help

Darcie

Moving in
So I have had my budgie who I suspect is a male, for about a month, and he's around 2 months old but can't fly and has barely any wings or tail. I think he will be fine, just a late bloomer, but I want to make sure that he will be ok. Photo is attatchrd. Thankyou

Attachments

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I worry he is what is called a "runner budgie" and has "French Moult" or possibly Polyoma virus or PBFD which is a different virus.
This is not a good thing and he should see an avian vet asap
at the least he would need a special diet and he could infect other birds if you have them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope your little bird is okay.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I love mauve colored budgies! :heart: You've got yourself a real handsome boy there!
From the photo I don't see any discharge or crusting around his eyes or cere, and I know how he's sitting (fluffed up, eyes closed) is how budgies sleep, but does he sit like that often?

Though I'm worried about him not having wing feathers or tail feathers? So I'm gonna be nosey and ask a couple questions about him :p
1) How long ago did you get him? (If you have any other birds, was this bird quarantined?)
2) Where did you get him?
3) Do you have any information on his parents? (Were they related, were they sick, were they bred by an experienced breeder?, etc.)
4) Was he raised in a clean, healthy, sanitary, well-lit environment?
5) Has he seen a vet yet?
6) What is he eating right now? What is the biggest component of his diet?
7) How much/how often do you feed him? How much does he actually eat?
8) Do you allow him indoors flight time outside of the cage but in a safe "budgie-proof" room?
9) Does he try to fly around? (If yes, is it because he's easily spooked, or is it because he's an active bird?) How far does he get?
10) Is he primarily active and alert? Are his eyes, nose, and vent clear of any discharge?

Whether or not he has "French Molt" he should see a vet! Even if it's just to make sure he stays healthy!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little baby is okay!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How is you little one?

Darcie

Moving in
I love mauve colored budgies! :heart: You've got yourself a real handsome boy there!
From the photo I don't see any discharge or crusting around his eyes or cere, and I know how he's sitting (fluffed up, eyes closed) is how budgies sleep, but does he sit like that often?

Though I'm worried about him not having wing feathers or tail feathers? So I'm gonna be nosey and ask a couple questions about him :p
1) How long ago did you get him? (If you have any other birds, was this bird quarantined?)
2) Where did you get him?
3) Do you have any information on his parents? (Were they related, were they sick, were they bred by an experienced breeder?, etc.)
4) Was he raised in a clean, healthy, sanitary, well-lit environment?
5) Has he seen a vet yet?
6) What is he eating right now? What is the biggest component of his diet?
7) How much/how often do you feed him? How much does he actually eat?
8) Do you allow him indoors flight time outside of the cage but in a safe "budgie-proof" room?
9) Does he try to fly around? (If yes, is it because he's easily spooked, or is it because he's an active bird?) How far does he get?
10) Is he primarily active and alert? Are his eyes, nose, and vent clear of any discharge?

Whether or not he has "French Molt" he should see a vet! Even if it's just to make sure he stays healthy!

Hi i'm not sure how to reply on here but hopefully you get this. I bought him from a pet shop and the people who run the shop didn't have much information about the breeders, but my little guy did have 2 siblings who looked bigger than him, I bought him because I felt bad for him. He was raised in a clean environment but I was worried that he may had been in the shop too early as he was only a month old when I bought him. Right now I'm feeding him seed and sometimes lettuce. He eats quite a bit, he's like a baby, eat, sleep, play and repeat. I let him out of his cage and he runs around in my room (budgie proofed) and I put some seed in a shoe box lid for when he gets hungry. He tries to fly but i think it's envy flying because I live in a remote area and all he does is sit near a window and listen/watch other birds. He looks healthy, the photo I posted was when he was having a nap, but he's very energetic and theres no discharge or crusty flakes on his face or feet. He does get scared on hands sometimes but I think it's because he's still getting used to them. My mum says that she doesn't want to pay for the vet so I would love for some more help or support on here, Thankyou!!!!

Darcie

Moving in
Hi i'm not sure how to reply on here but hopefully you get this. I bought him from a pet shop and the people who run the shop didn't have much information about the breeders, but my little guy did have 2 siblings who looked bigger than him, I bought him because I felt bad for him. He was raised in a clean environment but I was worried that he may had been in the shop too early as he was only a month old when I bought him. Right now I'm feeding him seed and sometimes lettuce. He eats quite a bit, he's like a baby, eat, sleep, play and repeat. I let him out of his cage and he runs around in my room (budgie proofed) and I put some seed in a shoe box lid for when he gets hungry. He tries to fly but i think it's envy flying because I live in a remote area and all he does is sit near a window and listen/watch other birds. He looks healthy, the photo I posted was when he was having a nap, but he's very energetic and theres no discharge or crusty flakes on his face or feet. He does get scared on hands sometimes but I think it's because he's still getting used to them. My mum says that she doesn't want to pay for the vet so I would love for some more help or support on here, Thankyou!!!!
OOPS not lettuce, silverbeet

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Silverbeet aka swiss chard and spinach have higher oxalates than some other choices. It should only be fed occasionally. Oxalates bind up calcium so that can cause problems.
His diet of only seed should be improved a bit.
The best thing you can do is sprout his seed. That makes many more nutrients available and lowers the fat. We have several threads here about sprouting or there's more info in the link I will give you below.
Budgies really love the heads of broccoli/broccoli rabe. clip a segment to his cage by where he can sit and eat it, try eating some yourself right in front of him.
They also love a bit of scrambled eggs once a week or so.
This is from my budgie's breeder and has great info:
Budgie Parakeet Food and Feeding Recommendations

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I agree that his diet should be improved, and I'd also highly recommend some clicker training!