• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BABY BLUE AND GOLD HANDFEEDING QUESTIONS *PICS*

Matthew85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matthew
hello im new to this forum, my name is matthew ..
i recently got a baby B&G Macaw 28days old today. ive hand raised conures and fell confident i can handle this job the breeder answers all of my questions and is great but sometimes i feel like a worry wart and dont want to bug her lol. here is what i do and I'm just wondering is there room for improvement or am i good. to i weigh him or her each morning i was doing it after feedings i learned today to do 1 weight just first thing in the morning before feeding . today is the first day i did this so it will be a few days for me to have weights to compare. he or she is the biggest out of 3 and was the second to hatch. weight this morning was 672 grams and the crop was empty, he or she ate 80cc most times its 60cc and he or she gets feedings every 6 hours dose this seem good ? also the breeder told me to let the crop empty each time wich it has been or very close each time looking on the web tho ive seen that i should never do that unless its overnight? i mix food based on package and feed at 107 and we are usually finished its around 100 . please if u think there are pointers or something i should do different let me know . he or she is housed in a plastic tub with a heating pad covered by a towel on low and then there is also a heat lamp on top hooked to a thermostat incase we have a cold night ect it is set at 74 . her cage usually is a little higher i just put this on incase something happens i know it wont go bellow 74. thanks in advance and enjoy the pictures!

short story.
28 days old eating 60cc 4 times a day weighing 672grams
lettings crop get empty each time or very close. should i feed when crop is about 25% or keep it how it is.

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Oh my goodness what a cutie pie! :faint::heart:

I am sure some of our Macaw members will respond soon.

@Hankmacaw @Karen @Shezbug and Sarah has already been tagged!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Omg!! Adorable baby :heart2:

I personally think Sarah is the best person to offer help here given the babies age and Sarah’s knowledge.

Definitely record the weights after pooping and before feeding in the mornings- I’m not sure though if that is all that’s needed with babies that young.
Crop emptying as far as I know only needs to be for the overnight feeds but Sarah will confirm one way or the other.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Could you tell me how you got a 28 day baby. That is really, really young. Best of luck with your getting him through this very dangerous time. Stay on this forum and you will get expert help.

Matthew85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matthew
Omg!! Adorable baby :heart2:

I personally think Sarah is the best person to offer help here given the babies age and Sarah’s knowledge.

Definitely record the weights after pooping and before feeding in the mornings- I’m not sure though if that is all that’s needed with babies that young.
Crop emptying as far as I know only needs to be for the overnight feeds but Sarah will confirm one way or the other.
Yes everything g you said is what I've read online. Thank you the only difference is the crop emptying but I think it makes sense to only allow it to empty overnight t y

Matthew85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matthew
Could you tell me how you got a 28 day baby. That is really, really young. Best of luck with your getting him through this very dangerous time. Stay on this forum and you will get expert help.
I got him from a breeder who I've spoken to for over a year and answered question and asked them , I've raised smaller parrots from earlier ages from my own clutch and pretty sure about this one but I guess I am just nervous and want to do everything possible for a happy health baby , thank you I am doing feeding every 6 hrs or a little sooner that seem ok ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here are a couple of threads you may want to read - it may give you a heads up. Both are about baby B&G's who had some problems.

@macawpower58

Matthew85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matthew
Here are a couple of threads you may want to read - it may give you a heads up. Both are about baby B&G's who had some problems.

@macawpower58
T.y

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I can't recall but I think it was every four hours at that age. 10% of body weight every four but I will double check my book. Drop your feeding amounts down to about 70cc. Go back up to 80cc when he hits 800 grams. Are you keeping him warm? Usually about 80 degrees is recommended when they are unfeathered. Clean clean clean. Disinfect handfeeding supplies. Don't reuse formula. Not too thick and not to thin on the formula.

Matthew85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matthew
I can't recall but I think it was every four hours at that age. 10% of body weight every four but I will double check my book. Drop your feeding amounts down to about 70cc. Go back up to 80cc when he hits 800 grams. Are you keeping him warm? Usually about 80 degrees is recommended when they are unfeathered. Clean clean clean. Disinfect handfeeding supplies. Don't reuse formula. Not too thick and not to thin on the formula.
Yes he has a heating pad and his cage a plastic tub is usually 78-80 but is also set up to have e a heat lamp kick on at 74 if for some reason it gets that cold. Also I ordered 20 pack of pending syringes so there cleaned each time on a ration

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Many heating bulbs have a teflon type coating that needs to be burned off before you use it near him. Make sure any new bulbs have a proper break in period away from him before they kick on.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What book is this ? I'd like to order one possibly

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don't have any advice, but good luck! He's adorable!