• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Bites and Flickers of Cage Aggression At 9 weeks

Serin

Sprinting down the street
My found one-winged quaker parrot is about 9-10 weeks old and has begun to huff a little and bite if I reach to pet him in his cage some of the time. He "bites", but without any force, and then kind of chews lightly on my finger without letting go. It's not a problem now. But his beak is going to get stronger. If he does this, is the best reaction to ignore it - or to pull away?

The parrot is bonded with me and is very loving and affectionate if my hand is not in the cage or if he is out of the cage so it is not a fearful thing.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Gosh that's a tough one because it sounds like he's beaking/mouthing which babies do to explore. I wouldn't let him make a habit of it because it may get worse. My Quaker bits the crap out of me and I've tried everything. It's gotten better and I've been consistent with letting her know it's not okay and walking away. I would advise not to allow the biting and chewing. I know it's hard because they are so cute and sweet and you want to give them their way but like you said.... Big strong painful bite. It's beyond painful and can take a chunk out of your flesh!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try your best to avoid the bites.
For example, don´t pet the bird while in their cage. Only put your hand in when you are to bring him out - if he bites then, stop putting your hand in, and hold your hand at the door to signal play time. When he is out of the cage, be sure to offer lots of treats by hand to reinforce that hands = good things :)

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm not sure if there's a better way but Quakers are known to be cage territorial so if it only happens when you try to pet him in the cage, I'd say respect his property and don't pet him while he's in the cage. Maybe ask him get away from the cage and then pet him.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I'm getting him used to stepping on a dowel in preparation of dealing with adult cage aggression and he does well doing so now that both of his legs can grip.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm getting him used to stepping on a dowel in preparation of dealing with adult cage aggression and he does well doing so now that both of his legs can grip.

That's a great plan! I'm so glad to hear both of legs are working well!!