• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby bird

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
My five week old baby conure she does not want to take her formula so I have to force feed her she lost one g. weight she is on Kaytee formula, I see they have a higher fat content one that I did buy so I have it Monday but I was wondering if anyone has used that and I am planning to slowly introduce it to her food so she don't lose weight any thoughts or ideas her food is 105° and I don't mix it thick cuz she don't like it thick so that container says 1 to 2 ratio I do more like one to two and a half ratio she likes it better that way but after the first syringe she don't want no more her crop feels fine it is emptied once a day she don't get better in the middle of the night so by morning it's empty she poops good and she's playful just worried about her getting enough nutrition that's why I bought the extra fat formula any ideas if it's a thing to do or not do I appreciate it thank you

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Handfeeding is really best done by professionals. It can be very dangerous if you do it the wrong way. I recommend taking her to a breeder or vet if you have any in your area, and have them do it for you or teach you how to do it properly.

Hope this helps!

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Handfeeding is really best done by professionals. It can be very dangerous if you do it the wrong way. I recommend taking her to a breeder or vet if you have any in your area, and have them do it for you or teach you how to do it properly.

Hope this helps!
No breeder no vet closer than 100 miles. I've been hand feeding her since she hatched not knowing what the out come would be the parents didn't take care of the first 2. And no didn't plan on breeding I didn't know the sex until they mated. I've got that so it don't happen again. Now do you know anything about formulas.that was my question. Ps. The 3 avian vets I talked to when this all began told me to keep doing what I was doing cuz she was growing she is 80 g today still putting weight on. Did introduce her to millet and today mushy chop just so she can taste it.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
No breeder no vet closer than 100 miles. I've been hand feeding her since she hatched not knowing what the out come would be the parents didn't take care of the first 2. And no didn't plan on breeding I didn't know the sex until they mated. I've got that so it don't happen again. Now do you know anything about formulas.that was my question. Ps. The 3 avian vets I talked to when this all began told me to keep doing what I was doing cuz she was growing she is 80 g today still putting weight on. Did introduce her to millet and today mushy chop just so she can taste it.
Ps thank you I know a breeder or vet would be good. I do not tube feed if that's what you were thinking I syringe feed I just do it really slowly now cuz she doesn't really want to take it but we do get about 10 CC's down

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much does the bird weigh? It's vital to get an accurate measurement of their weight. You will need a gram scale and you need to weigh the bird first thing in the morning - after pooping but before feeding.

How much are you feeding? You should be feeding 10% of the bird's weight in each feed. If the bird weighs 70g, feed 7ml. Overfeeding will cause a stretched crop, among other issues.

Are you offering any solids? You may want to do this after feeding formula - hungry babies are too stressed to try new things. Things like sprouted seeds and cooked sweet poptato or squash are good. Much like feeding toddler humans, don't expect your bird to eat much! You're just offering different tastes and textures to get them used to it.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
How much does the bird weigh? It's vital to get an accurate measurement of their weight. You will need a gram scale and you need to weigh the bird first thing in the morning - after pooping but before feeding.

How much are you feeding? You should be feeding 10% of the bird's weight in each feed. If the bird weighs 70g, feed 7ml. Overfeeding will cause a stretched crop, among other issues.

Are you offering any solids? You may want to do this after feeding formula - hungry babies are too stressed to try new things. Things like sprouted seeds and cooked sweet poptato or squash are good. Much like feeding toddler humans, don't expect your bird to eat much! You're just offering different tastes and textures to get them used to it.
She weighs 80g today It is a gram scale, she eats any where from 8cc-10cc but that's not counting the food she wears and I wear lol. Today I offered some muched up chop I feed the parents after she ate she didn't care for it yet she does play with her millet I think I seen her eat a few seeds. I was told to start her on that what's your opinion? About weighing it in the morning before feeding and after pooping which she does alot so that's good. She's starting to play and it's so fun to play with her.