• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby bird

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Hi Calla,
I'm glad you raised the temperature in your incubator... what exactly is this container you're keeping the baby in? ( a professional brooder or home made one?) If you can provide a photo of it that would be great. If you've been feeding since day one of hatching it sounds like you are making good progress. I would like to make sure you have plenty of proper bedding for this baby to avoid it developing splayed legs. What is your feeding schedule and what is the exact temperature you feed the formula? Are you using a spoon or syringe and have you hand fed before?

I'm curious to know what the ages are of the parents. First time parents can be neglectful of their newly hatched babies - especially if they are too young or have been hand fed themselves when they were babies and have poor parenting skills because of that.
It is a bought incubator. I'm planning to make a brooder from what the breeder uses and told me to do but with one change I will have a bowl of water in the tote with holes in the cover for humidity. He uses a tote,. , heating pad half of the tote temp. gage .then padding between the heating pad and tote. I bought baby receiving blankets for the baby to be on. Any input?

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
It is a bought incubator. I'm planning to make a brooder from what the breeder uses and told me to do but with one change I will have a bowl of water in the tote with holes in the cover for humidity. He uses a tote,. , heating pad half of the tote temp. gage .then padding between the heating pad and tote. I bought baby receiving blankets for the baby to be on. Any input?
Parents female 1 1/2 yrs. Male 1 year. I didn't know the sex until they laid eggs.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
This is Calla I want everyone that helped me today know something exciting happened. My baby has one eye open. The right eye. The left looks really close. Doing this hand feeding has its worries and no sleep Lol, but when things like this happens just makes thing worth it. Thank you everyone.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They're a bit young and first time parents... meaning they've got a few things against them when it comes to raising babies.

The dad is a cinnamon opaline. Opaline is frequently called yellowsided in green cheeks. Both cinnamon and opaline are sex-linked genes. In short, it acts recessive in males and dominant in females. Females can only have one gene, and they get that from their father. If father is visual, then any offspring that look like him are automatically females as long as the mother is NOT the same mutation.

If the mother is a pineapple, dad normal, then all offspring would be normals with males being split pineapple.

If mom is a pineapple and dad is split pineapple, then it's possible to get normals and pineapples (and/or cinnamons and yellowsides) of both sexes.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Oh my gosh yay! Super cute when they start looking around. They look like little grumpy birdies when their eyes first open :roflmao:
Ive been quietly reading your other thread. You’re doing such a good job!! It’ll all pay off soon!:starshower1:

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Welcome to the Avenue Calla :)

Sounds extremely underweight.
@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @webchirp

Feed him before the crop empties so there is still a small amount left in there. The crop only needs to empty once per day (per 24 hours).

Could your vet help you find a vet with chick experience? Or conference call with some other vet elsewhere for help?

What formula are you using and how are you preparing and feeding it?
They're a bit young and first time parents... meaning they've got a few things against them when it comes to raising babies.

The dad is a cinnamon opaline. Opaline is frequently called yellowsided in green cheeks. Both cinnamon and opaline are sex-linked genes. In short, it acts recessive in males and dominant in females. Females can only have one gene, and they get that from their father. If father is visual, then any offspring that look like him are automatically females as long as the mother is NOT the same mutation.

If the mother is a pineapple, dad normal, then all offspring would be normals with males being split pineapple.

If mom is a pineapple and dad is split pineapple, then it's possible to get normals and pineapples (and/or cinnamons and yellowsides) of both sexes.
That is so interesting thanks for the information, I learned something today
Oh my gosh yay! Super cute when they start looking around. They look like little grumpy birdies when their eyes first open :roflmao:
Ive been quietly reading your other thread. You’re doing such a good job!! It’ll all pay off soon!:starshower1:
Both eyes have open , but he still keeps them closed alot. My baby is becoming quite a chore hound..Lol. I have been trying to name the little one and coming up with nothing. Mom's name is Sweet Cheek and dad's name is Skittles. I been tossing around the name Chiclets. Anybody have any Ideas? And what do you think of Chiclets.Is it a dumb name?

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Good morning, baby bird is 2week old today. Weighing 27 grams. I have a question, It in an incubator now when should I put him in a brooder? There is just little signs of pin feathers coming but he just fuzzy and naked in some areas. I don't want to do it too soon.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
An incubator is for hatching eggs.
A brooder is the container to keep chicks inside, warm.

So I think you already have him in a brooder?

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
It's a small incubator , right now he fits .I have him in a bowl in side lined with soft kleenex.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
An incubator is for hatching eggs.
A brooder is the container to keep chicks inside, warm.

So I think you already have him in a brooder?
It is a hatcher the company said I could keep young bird in it. So it's not a real brooder. Just a make shift one.And it's small 14x10x5.5 inches. So saying this when will it be okay to move him to a bigger brooder.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
I have an other question the baby bird weight is 31g eats 3cc of food the question is his crop is slowing down he eats about every four hours now and that night when I go to feed him he really don't want any food and he suggestions should I still beat him some food or should I wait until morning I'm assuming it's normal for the crop to slow down as they eat more thank you.