• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby bird

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Hi I'm Calla lve been a bird owner for a while , I have parrot lets and green cheek conure and a pineapple conure. Well my conures had eggs the first 2 hatched babies looked good by morning were dead. So when the 3 one hatch I took it. I did a lot of reading and watching videos on how to had feed. My baby is 12 days old and weighs 2.1 grams Its first weight was1.3 at 10 days then 1.8 at 11 days. What I what to know what should the baby weigh .I feed him when his crop has emptied which is about 3 hrs. I feed him till he is full. Which is about 1 1/2 cc. Maybe a little more. I have him in incubator temp at 94 degrees and humidity 50-60.%. Anybody know anything about baby weight at this age the vet I talked to said it unknown territory. Thank you!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Calla :)

My baby is 12 days old and weighs 2.1 grams
Sounds extremely underweight.
@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @webchirp

.I feed him when his crop has emptied which is about 3 hrs.
Feed him before the crop empties so there is still a small amount left in there. The crop only needs to empty once per day (per 24 hours).

the vet I talked to said it unknown territory
Could your vet help you find a vet with chick experience? Or conference call with some other vet elsewhere for help?

What formula are you using and how are you preparing and feeding it?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Hi I'm new so please forgive me. I will be repeating what I said in the welcome lane. My Conures(1green cheek, 1pineapple) well they had eggs and didn't know how to take care of the new babies I lost 2 babies giving them a chance to be parents when the third hatched I took him. What I need to know what a baby should weigh. At 10 days it weighed 1.3 grams 11 days 1.8 grams At 12days 2.1 gram. I never hand raised a baby never needed to. Did alot of reading and watching videos. It's in an incubator temperature 94 degrees. Humidity 50-60 percent. It eats every 3 hrs that when the crop empties. Eats 1 1/2 cc or a little more. I feed it till it's full. Anyone know how much a 12 day old conure Should weigh and any other information I would gladly appreciate it.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Duplicate threads merged to contain all information, responses and advice in one place.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Okay good as done is 97 degrees
Me again when would you drop the temperature. It has no feathers yet. It is very strong it stand up really good. It surprised me how fast they grow. You really don't get to see that when them parents take care of them.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Welcome to the Avenue Calla :)

Sounds extremely underweight.
@Mockinbirdiva @Monica @webchirp

Feed him before the crop empties so there is still a small amount left in there. The crop only needs to empty once per day (per 24 hours).

Could your vet help you find a vet with chick experience? Or conference call with some other vet elsewhere for help?

What formula are you using and how are you preparing and feeding it?
Kaylee parrot

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Being underweight is my fault I was scared to over fill the crop and kill him that was the first 4 days then I did more research and found out I need to increase the amount. I am waiting for my vet to get back to me with information she can find ( on talking to again vet). Oh I mix food 1part food 2parts bottled.water.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You should be feeding about 10% of the chicks body weight at each feeding.

Around 12 days old, they ought to weigh around 18 grams and around 2 days old they weigh about 4 grams.... based on this green cheek growth chart

Are you using a digital scale or not? If it's a digital scale, are you sure it's on grams? Or are you converting to grams?

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
You should be feeding about 10% of the chicks body weight at each feeding.

Around 12 days old, they ought to weigh around 18 grams and around 2 days old they weigh about 4 grams.... based on this green cheek growth chart

Are you using a digital scale or not? If it's a digital scale, are you sure it's on grams? Or are you converting to grams?
Thanks yes I am using digital scale it is set on gram. I need to look better when I weigh it maybe it's 21 grams not 2.1. I wii weigh him again in 20 min at feeding time. He looks like the 12 day old chick in the pictures thanks for them! At one day old he didn't registered on the scale that happened for the next four days then I stopped trying to weigh them until he was 10 days. I appreciate all the help you have been giving me any more advice I will gladly appreciate it this is New Territory for me my other birds took care of their babies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Then if it's really 21 grams, the chick is probably on par with what he/she should be weighing!!!!

Is mom the pineapple or normal?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I need to look better when I weigh it maybe it's 21 grams not 2.1
That sounds a lot better. Given what you said about him growing so quick and the picture you said looks like him, I would bet you read the scale wrong and your chick is actually 21 g :)

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Then if it's really 21 grams, the chick is probably on par with what he/she should be weighing!!!!

Is mom the pineapple or normal?
Good news just weighed my little one and it is 23 grams yay .Should wear my glasses in the morning. Lol. Female is the normal male is the pineapple. Before they laid eggs I thought it was opposite although I wasn't quite sure what their sex was now I know lol. They can be a handful but funny I love them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Well then, if baby turns out to be a normal, you've got a male! If baby is a pineapple, then you've got a girl!

Glad to know baby is at a good weight! :)

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Well then, if baby turns out to be a normal, you've got a male! If baby is a pineapple, then you've got a girl!

Glad to know baby is at a good weight! :)
Ok how do you know this this is very interesting. Is there a site with more of this info. It's got my interest up. My parrotlets females turquoise male blue they had five babies two blue and three turquoise the two blue were male and I've got two male turquoise and one female. Now back to the baby bird I got off the phone with it avian vet and she told me I'm treading unknown territory but to keep doing what I'm doing I am waiting to hear from the other two I called I want to make sure I get the same information I want to know that I'm talking to somebody that's knows what they're talking about so far you guys have helped out the most especially the pictures that's what made me way my baby because he or she look just like the 12 day old bird in the picture. Thanks again everybody. So glad I found your site.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Calla,
I'm glad you raised the temperature in your incubator... what exactly is this container you're keeping the baby in? ( a professional brooder or home made one?) If you can provide a photo of it that would be great. If you've been feeding since day one of hatching it sounds like you are making good progress. I would like to make sure you have plenty of proper bedding for this baby to avoid it developing splayed legs. What is your feeding schedule and what is the exact temperature you feed the formula? Are you using a spoon or syringe and have you hand fed before?

I'm curious to know what the ages are of the parents. First time parents can be neglectful of their newly hatched babies - especially if they are too young or have been hand fed themselves when they were babies and have poor parenting skills because of that.

callalilly

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calla
Given the chicks condition, I would have that a couple of degrees higher.
I move the temp 97degrees it was to hot he was panting. I turn it back down to 94-95 degrees, he is warm and comfortable at that temp. But he does weight 23 grams not 2.1 grams. I just wanted to let you know what happened so you know I did listen. I don't want you to feel like I didn't. This is all trial by air from what all three avian vets told me and basically they said do what I'm doing. But still would love input thank you