• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby bird vomiting / regurgitating?

birbbean

Moving in
Hello! I have a little male lovebird named Tofu who is about 7 weeks old. Recently I noticed he did some head bobbing motion. Nothing ever comes out though. But today specifically, I saw him shake his whole body after doing some head bobbing motion, but nothing came out. I didn't manage to capture a video, but if he still does it (hopefully not) I'll try my best to record. He is still active and playing, he is not lethargic, fluffy, sleeping etc, but I needed to double check. Yesterday he ate some spoiled food, I've been paying attention to him but he seems fine, his poop also looks normal. I also don't know if the vigorous shaking and flapping is because he recently learned to fly and he still has some itchy pin feathers.

I have researched about the difference between vomiting and regurgitating but I'm not sure about this case.

So, if he is vomiting is there any first aid hacks while I schedule a vet appointment? Thank you so much :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Recently I noticed he did some head bobbing motion. Nothing ever comes out though. But today specifically, I saw him shake his whole body after doing some head bobbing motion, but nothing came out.
Regurgitating at 7 weeks old is very unlikely. I suppose not impossible but I would be thinking more along the lines of crop adjusting. If no vomit came out, no shaking head side to side then it could be that something was bothing his crop.

What is he eating?
What was the spoiled food he ate, and how much?

birbbean

Moving in
The day I gave him the spoiled food was a few days ago, I saw him shake his head in a panicked way after the head bobbing yesterday but nothing came out. He was okay the day he ate the spoiled food and still okay today. Hopefully nothing bad happens.

He eats baby food, it is recommended by a lot of breeders and bird owners, so it should be safe.

The spoiled food he ate was the spoiled porridge, the one I haven't washed the night before. He ate it the next morning. He ate quite a lot, but not until his crop was full, so I gave him some warm water to hopefully desaturate the spoiled food if that makes sense.

birbbean

Moving in

This pic was taken on 9 October 2021, so it was way before the spoiled food incident. I don't really remember what movement he did, but a little bit of his food came out. He was acting normal that day. So maybe it could be the same case?