• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Baby Bird Acting Odd VERY CONCERNED

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Well I know he has the crop capacity because he was eating. I actually just managed to get a whole feeding into him. He still did the standing up straight thing but that is the first feeding he has taken completely in about 24hrs. I will update.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
He still did the standing up straight thing but that is the first feeding he has taken completely in about 24hrs. I will update.
------------------------------------------------

That is Greeat that he took the whole feeding. And if he digests that in a timely manor, then 'possibly' can rule out a problem in the GI tracvt or crop function. Now it just a matter of determining the cause of the standing straight up after being fed.

While sallowing food they are not breathing as freelt. they can't do both at the same time. But normally after being fed it is automatic to breathe normally. My guess is that there is something that is obstrucing or impairing his breathing (??)...just thinking aloud here.

Can you place your ear near his head, neck and back to listen to if his breathing is quiet or if there are any sounds and from where?

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
UPDATE: They do not have a clue what is wrong...I am getting him to take his feedings now, he is digesting in a timely manner and taking the next but still standing up and acting funny right after eating and then returning to normal behavior after a few minutes! He is still losing weight too! I really think I am going to lose him. How can they not know what is going on they are the vets?! :(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Nikki can you try a different brand of formula? What about adding Prozyme or something like that? It sounds like he is not absorbing nutrients. :hug8:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
IF your going to switch formula you HAVE to mix in the one you were using with the new, Can't just switch cold turkey

Or so i've been told many many many times So when I switched from Kaytee 2 Zupreem I added Kaytee to the zupreem - I actually have kept the 1st container of Kaytee I bought it was a plastic container with a screw on lid and I cleaned it out when it was empty and Re fill it and I mixed half and half and I store it in the freezer with my 10 pnd bag of Zupreem I pull it out when I use it and put it back when i'm done. but all my babies have used Zupreem for the last year and I've not had a single problem with it. My babies are bigger and don't beg for food no where near as much as they did on Kaytee - when I used kaytee I was feeding 3 week old babies every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and they were 100% empty every time. I feed all mine every 6 hours since they've been on Zupreem and there are times they still have a small amount left when its time to feed again but they empty out at least once (normally twice) during the day in between feedings and since they've been on Zupreem They just seem to do a lot better, they get full and it stays put for a while like its supposed to.

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
The problem you are having with this baby IS the formula! I had a similar experience about 9 months ago and found out that Kaytee has been having problems with their formula. I switched (cold turkey) to Zupreem Embrace and the baby's condition began to turn around within 2 feedings. My baby was 4 weeks old and looked like a baby not quite 3 weeks old. Once I changed formulas, the baby was gaining weight each and every day, which is the way it's supposed to be.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Nikki can you try a different brand of formula? What about adding Prozyme or something like that? It sounds like he is not absorbing nutrients. :hug8:
Do you live in MA?
IF your going to switch formula you HAVE to mix in the one you were using with the new, Can't just switch cold turkey

Or so i've been told many many many times So when I switched from Kaytee 2 Zupreem I added Kaytee to the zupreem - I actually have kept the 1st container of Kaytee I bought it was a plastic container with a screw on lid and I cleaned it out when it was empty and Re fill it and I mixed half and half and I store it in the freezer with my 10 pnd bag of Zupreem I pull it out when I use it and put it back when i'm done. but all my babies have used Zupreem for the last year and I've not had a single problem with it. My babies are bigger and don't beg for food no where near as much as they did on Kaytee - when I used kaytee I was feeding 3 week old babies every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and they were 100% empty every time. I feed all mine every 6 hours since they've been on Zupreem and there are times they still have a small amount left when its time to feed again but they empty out at least once (normally twice) during the day in between feedings and since they've been on Zupreem They just seem to do a lot better, they get full and it stays put for a while like its supposed to.
The problem you are having with this baby IS the formula! I had a similar experience about 9 months ago and found out that Kaytee has been having problems with their formula. I switched (cold turkey) to Zupreem Embrace and the baby's condition began to turn around within 2 feedings. My baby was 4 weeks old and looked like a baby not quite 3 weeks old. Once I changed formulas, the baby was gaining weight each and every day, which is the way it's supposed to be.
Nothing abnormal in testing. They said they could keep him overnight but it would have cost me an arm and a leg and they were just going to observe. YES I am switching formula tomorrow I had to place a large order of bird supplies so I ordered the Zupreem formula with it. Thing is I always used Zupreem and just switched because someone locally said they always used Exact and thought it was better. I Should know better. Do you think I should still add the Prozyme? I am not familiar with that. Where can you get it??? Also I am in NH. I am familiar with the weaning procedures but thanks for the info. I may have to switch him cold turkey at this point though. It seems like it is going right through him I am feeding him more frequently than the other two. He is now taking the feedings completely which is a relief but still standing up really straight and getting a bit wobbly after, although he does seem a bit better as far as that is concerned. I just want to get some weight on him and quickly. He is such a sweet little bird.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
There are a few things that could cause this. Without more info, I don't want to jump in and say it's the formula.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
To rule out a couple of things of what is going on.

1.) Change the brand of hand feeding formula .

2.) Add a couple of drops of ACV to the formula, it will help with yeast should there be any and help digestion.

3.) Add a pinch of digestive enzyme to the formula. We use Harrisons digestive enzyme here.

4.) Add a probiotic to the formula.

Does the birds breath or mouth smell? How do the poops look? What all did the vet check for when he saw the bird?
Did the vet mention how the digestion looked when he did a fecal and gram? What were the bacteria counts?

Avitech makes many good products. There Formula one would help with weight gain. They have probiotics also.

Handfeeding Supplement for Day One Baby Birds

gary

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Bad news, baby has a puncture in its esophagus. :( They said they can do surgery but chances of survival are slim and it is quite expensive. That would explain pretty much everything. They said it can happen when the parents are feeding the baby if they are rushing or when the babies are vigorously bobbing at each other or if they surprise a person bobbing too hard during hand feeding. Since the parents aren't feeding them and I know they didn't bump the syringe we are guessing that it is from when the babies bob at each other. I am going to have to let this little one go. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Keep this little baby in your thoughts. :sad2:

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
OOOOOOOOOO................I am so very sorry!!!!!

:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

cher

Attachments

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I am so sorry. Kudo's to you for doing the kindest thing and letting him go.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Thank you for doing all you could for this little one!

Fly free little bird.....:hug8::hug8::hug8:

gary

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
I am so very sorry for your loss. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.