• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Bella the rescued pigeon

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Baby Bella is our newest family member. And she’s adorable. Syringe feeding has been one of the more nerve wracking experiences I’ve had in a while —but I’ve had amazing support from a lovely volunteer at Palomacy, an amazing dove and pigeon rescue and from a generous vet tech at Medical Center for Birds. Pitchounette is unfazed, the canary cares not and my kids are so sweet and careful with her. She spends many hours in between feedings staying warm in a baby blanket under my shirt while Pitchounette is on my shoulder. I’ve turned into the batty bird lady (as alliterative as crazy cat?) and couldn’t be happier.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
She is so precious! :cloud9:
Her name is so perfect, welcome little Bella! :heart:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ohhh Baby!! She's tiny!! So glad she has you now. :xflove:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh wow, her bones sticking out so much on that last pic of her. She must have been so hungry when she was found.
She´s looking so much better now! :swoon:

Bella, meaning Beautiful, yes, very fitting for her because of how she was rejected for her looks, but is actually very, very beautiful! :loveshower:

I look forward to more updates :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww she's absolutely precious! Congrats on welcoming her into your life.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Well I have to say that rehabbing an injured bird especially of a species that is new to me is…hard. I feel like I’m never sure of what I’m doing and given that this poor baby is so injured, I am always a little anxious. Her surgery was pushed back to next Thursday and that too is nerve wracking. She is as sweet as can be —and the fact that she is so dependent and imprinted on a human is heart breaking even as I try to remember the blessing it is to witness her capacity to bond across species. Sorry y’all -I’m a little sentimental this evening. I just wish I knew how to make her all better and reconciling myself to the fact that I do not have control of the situation is challenging.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have no advice here aside from one step at a time, but thanks for taking care of her.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
You clearly have such a big heart! :heart2:
Give yourself some grace for not knowing how to navigate a situation you've never experienced before. It's tough to see others suffer and not be able to do more to help. She's got a second chance at life now.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She really couldnt be in a better place and whilst you cant control everything what you can control you will.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
It has taken me this long to bring closure and I can’t even remember if I posted about Baby Bella’s passing because I was honestly surprised by how much it impacted me as someone who has suffered what would be considered by most to be more serious losses but here we are. Baby Bella passed shortly after this last post. Her last heart beat was literally against my chest as I drove her as fast as I could to the avian vet…two blocks from their parking lot. I completely fell apart in the car as I handed her limp little body to the tech who returned but 20mns later to tell me she had gone. The vet came out and to her credit spent 20mns with me consoling me that there was nothing I could have done. It still grounded me into a deep sadness that took me longer than I thought it would to shake. As is usually true in life, I moved through it in great part because the universe pushes me to via a call to take in another abandoned baby pigeon from Palomacy. I immediately said no. And then maybe. And here we are. My Henri/Etta came to me as fiesty and unfriendly as could be. I spent months knowing she would never be a “friendly” bird but perhaps a little bit of redemption would come from my caring for her without any reciprocity of care. Now she flies to me as soon as I open her cage door and hangs out on my shoulder. I’ll introduce him in another thread but wanted to close this loop.