• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Babies have arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Finally - we have baby greys. We had to move them so we decided to pull all the babies on Thursday and get everything over with at the same time. The last one hatched this past Tuesday and was a total surprise. We knew there had been 4 eggs, but only 3 chicks. We presumed the last one didn't hatch and she had eaten the egg. When we pulled them the smallest was hiding there in the middle of the older ones. They are all together in the brooder along with our baby green wing. We keep them on a baby blanket for a while so they stay cuddled up together. I need another brooder. With these 4, a green wing, and at least two red-fronted macaws there won't be any space.

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 4.33.27 PM.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness they are so precious! Look at those sweet little Dino babies :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwww

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of the baby greys has white toes. Has anyone seen that? Even the nail is white. When I first saw it I thought it was a toe constriction and there wasn't any blood flow to it, but then I saw the nail was white and realized it was a lack of pigment, not a constriction. It's like it has vitiligo on the toe. You can see it in the last picture I posted. It's the one in the center. Now that the bird is older it's very noticeable.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
One of the baby greys has white toes. Has anyone seen that? Even the nail is white. When I first saw it I thought it was a toe constriction and there wasn't any blood flow to it, but then I saw the nail was white and realized it was a lack of pigment, not a constriction. It's like it has vitiligo on the toe. You can see it in the last picture I posted. It's the one in the center. Now that the bird is older it's very noticeable.
Yes. A while back there was at least one member who posted about this with a macaw. I believe that it was a hyacinth.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
OMG they are soooo cute :)

JungleBred

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angelo
Hi there, I came on here looking for information on this exact thing.
I am located in Australia and am currently handraising a young greenwing macaw, she is about 7 weeks and weighs around 960g .
this particular greenwing macaw has a white toenail and weird feather colouration. I was told she could be a pied mutation.
I was wondering if anyone here has any info or has seen this Before. Here are some photos.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi there, I came on here looking for information on this exact thing.
I am located in Australia and am currently handraising a young greenwing macaw, she is about 7 weeks and weighs around 960g .
this particular greenwing macaw has a white toenail and weird feather colouration. I was told she could be a pied mutation.
I was wondering if anyone here has any info or has seen this Before. Here are some photos.
Looks like a healthy baby greenwing to me. It seems like the white toenails just happen sometimes. I don't see anything unusual about the coloring, but the feathers aren't fully grown yet.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those are beautiful grey babies!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
These little miscreants are getting so big. We haven't had the DNA done yet, but based on color alone I think we have 3 boys and a girl. The father is dark grey and the mother is a very light silver color. Three of these babies are dark and one is silver. DNA will tell us for sure, I just have to get off my backside and get it done.

IMG_6760.jpeg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Such adorable "miscreants ".

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We did the DNA on the Greys just before our weekend vacation. We have 2 boys and 2 girls. The green band and the white band are the boys. The blue band and the yellow band are the girls. The yellow band girl has chosen her human and she has been named Niña.

greys.jpg

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW they are growing fast and look amazing :laughing12:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love greys, and these babies are beautiful! I have a question if you are willing to share:

We did the DNA on the Greys just before our weekend vacation.
While you are on vacation or have to take trips, who takes care of your birds, and how did you find that person(s)? I’m still struggling with this aspect of bird ownership.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They look so sweet and adorable.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love greys, and these babies are beautiful! I have a question if you are willing to share:

While you are on vacation or have to take trips, who takes care of your birds, and how did you find that person(s)? I’m still struggling with this aspect of bird ownership.
Sorry for the delay, I thought I had answered this. I have a friend who house sits for us when we travel. She's a coworker at the bird store. She owns a harlequin and a special needs red-fronted macaw as well as a few other birds. I know how well she takes care of them and the love she gives them all. She loves to house sit because it gives her time away from her adult children that live with her and I pay her for her time. It's like a paid vacation for her. Before we had so many big birds I had other friends that would do it for me. They would stop by once a day to feed and water, then again in the evening to check on them. At the time I only had a few pairs of conures and it was fine, then the cockatiels came, and then the breeding pairs of macaws joined the flock. They also own another bird store in the area and it was too much work for them on top of everything else they have to do. My coworker and I used to run the store on Saturdays and our equally twisted personalities made those days a lot of fun.

Here are the baby greys. They are almost fully weaned and exploring a much larger cage during the days. They have a little too much attitude for me so we're working on that. The parents have started on their fall clutch so I'm going to have more babies hatching in mid-October. Hopefully, I can get these guys placed by then.

IMG_7265.jpeg IMG_7261.jpeg IMG_7263.jpeg

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
LOVE EM !!!! :laughing12:

Status
Not open for further replies.