• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Babies have arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Oh they are adorable babies:heart:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, look at those sweet faces! I can't get over those dark baby eyes :swoon:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The babies have all been to the vet and had their health checkups and microchip. They weren't happy with me about it, but they all behaved themselves and didn't bite anyone. One of the babies is going home tomorrow. I'm surprised that the others have not sold yet. We've got 2 pairs that are on eggs again so I'll have more babies arriving in mid-October.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are so beautiful!! Does an African Grey go through the same sort of adolescent period as a large Macaw?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are so beautiful!! Does an African Grey go through the same sort of adolescent period as a large Macaw?
Greys are so different from macaws. This is our first clutch so it's been a new experience for us. They were super sweet and cuddly as babies then as they started to mature they all went through a phase where they were scared of everything and now they are just grumpy. They aren't that way with Felix. They are cuddly with him with the occasional nip but they all seem to go through days when they tolerate me, or they hate me. I've been bitten so many times it isn't funny. The only time they didn't bite me was when they went to the vet for their health check and microchip. With another clutch coming hopefully things will be better.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The second clutch of the year has arrived. This pair regulates themselves to two clutches each year. One that they lay in May and another that they lay in September. The babies started hatching a few days ago. Diamond laid 3 eggs and two have hatched. I don't think the other one is fertile, but I'm just going to wait. The last clutch was 4 eggs and for a while, it looked like one of the eggs had disappeared but when we removed the chicks there were 4 babies in there. The smallest was just hidden in between the other babies. Mom and dad are very easygoing about us opening the nestbox door. She goes out to feed and we can open the door while she's gone. She just sticks her head in the opening to watch us but it's threatened at all.

IMG_7605.jpeg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
They are so gorgeous you are so lucky :heart:
Did you manage to find homes for the other 3 can’t believe they weren’t snapped up

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are so gorgeous you are so lucky :heart:
Did you manage to find homes for the other 3 can’t believe they weren’t snapped up
I haven't been able to find homes for them yet. Greys have become very expensive and hard to find over the last few years. With the current economy, I'm really not surprised that they haven't sold yet. Only 1 of my 4 pairs are successfully breeding so I'm not that concerned. If all 4 were producing chicks I might have lost my mind by now.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I haven't been able to find homes for them yet. Greys have become very expensive and hard to find over the last few years. With the current economy, I'm really not surprised that they haven't sold yet. Only 1 of my 4 pairs are successfully breeding so I'm not that concerned. If all 4 were producing chicks I might have lost my mind by now.
Yes it’s hard to afford extra mouths to feed at minute and first lay out expensive for bird cage toys etc too but they are super cute At least you get more time :heart: and find them good homes

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
OMG they are so cute :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby number 3 hatched either late last night or early this morning. There were 3 little balls of fuzzy down huddled up together.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
They are so cute.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My calculations were off. The oldest baby went to the store and is 17 days old. The others are 15 and 13 days.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The last two baby greys from the June clutch have gone home. They were starting to try my patience so I’m glad they are gone. I dropped them off at the airport this morning for their flight. The other two babies we have are reserved. Now if the other two pairs would give me fertile eggs I would be swimming in baby Greys. It’s a nice problem to have but I’m not sure if I could handle 10 or more chicks at once.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The last of our October clutch of Greys is heading home tomorrow. He has a quick flight from Phoenix to L.A. and then a few hours drive home with his new daddy. This last clutch has been really sweet and so very different from the first one. Both he and his sister weaned at about 85 days. They tapered off quickly and then one day they both refused the hand-feeding formula. We offered it again that night and the next morning and they didn't want it. They went to town on their chop each morning and always finished the pellets. He's now 125 days old and says HI and Hello when we approach the cage. He's also starting to mumble other things but we can't make them out yet. I think he's going to be quite the chatterbox.

All 4 pairs of greys now have nest boxes and I suspect one has started laying already. I did not expect an early clutch of greys, but maybe there is too much competition and they are all ready to get busy. Maybe they know I'm planning a late summer vacation and they want to get all of the babies out of the way so I can travel and not be stressed about having chicks at home. I'm probably hoping for too much though. One of the females who has typically been nice to me has gotten aggressive. Dexter, who has made me bleed several times has become friendly and lets me scratch his head. I'm not sure I can ever trust him though. Between the 4 pairs, they might be plotting my death or something.

IMG_8332.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our baby is safe and sound with his new daddy. I had doubts that we were going to be able to make this happen but he got there safe and sound. Delta Cargo upgraded its online reservation system recently and it didn't work well. Flights showed that there was no capacity for pets and the aircraft was not even appropriate for the route. They don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it either. Luckily I managed to get a really helpful person on the phone and they booked it for me. One roadblock down. The weather in Phoenix has been weird the last few days and it was cold this morning. I wasn't sure the cargo facility would even take him but they did. The person who checked him in wanted me to remove him from the carrier so she could inspect it. I said absolutely not. I spent a whole day getting the carrier configured to meet airline standards and he is secured inside. He is fully flighted and scared. I am not taking him out and you can inspect the container from the outside. She didn't seem happy with that answer but her supervisor told her that external inspections are all that's required. When she looked at him he started screaming so I came over and talked to him and he settled down. I filled out everything and signed him over to their care. When he landed it took about 30 minutes to get him to his daddy. After a short drive to the hotel where he was transferred into a larger carrier for the ride home tomorrow, they spent some time getting to know each other. We messaged each other a few times and let him know what to expect. The bird responded to him just as I expected and he was thrilled. After a few hours together he said they seem like old pals. He doesn't want to step up, but he would much rather have his head scratched when offered a hand. He also nibbled his fingers but puts no pressure on them at all.

It's so hard to let them go but I love hearing that one of my babies has made someone very happy. Speaking of happy, I found eggs in a nest box this morning. I was right. Someone has been getting busy. Let's see what this breeding season will bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.