• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

B&G with bad infection, 95% gram negative bacteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
xrays or something but since she is so unruly he doesn't want to subject her to that (possibly have to knock her out which scared me with her being a B&G-----------------------------
I was just reading yesterday on either Harrisons site or somewhere on the net that it was recommended rather than using anthesthsia to put the bird in a paper bag when doing X-rays. I'm wondering if a paper bag will do, why not a clear plastic tub? Might be something to ask the vet.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Since she has an official job at our house as paper shredder I don't think a paper bag would work for more than three seconds.. but thanks :)

she is going to be getting a much more thorough workup this time, the vet just wanted to try the meds first and since she wasn't having the major balance issue then it seemed logical to me too. He said he thought it could be related to the egg laying but now that I think she's done laying... I don';t know whay she'd still be having the issue if thats the actual problem..

Thanks again and thanks for the suggestions guys.

- Sarah

Last edited:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
saying prays everything stays good:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
just letting everyone know she is slightly better, balance-wise, this morning. I called and let the vet know.. it was a different vet than yesterday but God she was wonderful and talked to me for about 15 minutes on the phone.. she trained at Cornell and everything so I was really glad we'd be seeing her.
Madison is still going in again today, she's going to have blood work and probably one x-ray. they will probably have to gas her, the doctor said, but it only lasts for a very short time (12-15 minutes, I believe she said?) and we've just got to do it... The vet just didn't want to take any chances, god-forbid something else was going on... as we all know when our babies finally show illness they are almost always worse than they appear.

Talk to you guys later when we get back... Lets hope she definitely comes back home with us!!

- Sarah

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad she is doing better! Sounds like you have great vets to work with. I await your updates.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Well they gassed her for blood-work and 2 x-rays.. she did fine with the anesthesia, thank God.. poor little girl was so out of it when they brought her back to me.. they let her come out of the towel on her own on the floor so she could steady herself and I sat next to her until she started to realize where she was and who I was and then I picked her up.

The info from those tests will be back tomorrow or the next day since they send it out..
The vet showed us the xrays.. little brat appears to be forming ANOTHER egg.. we could see it inside her in the xray, which was really cool but I really want her to stop laying, this will be number 4 this week, bringing her to a total of 7 in 2 & 1/2 months.

I am using Kaytee exact formula mixed in the syringe to get her to take her medicine.. the vet told me it would be a great idea to actually give her more of that throughout the day as it will help with what she needs as she lays eggs and recovers. Her x-rays also showed that her bones look normal, we'll see what the blood-work says but it didn't 'look' like the eggs were stealing calcium from her :)

She loves the formula as it's what she was raised on.. so giving her the meds is now easy as pie and she just LOVES the extra formula..

The vet was awesome.. she stood there and talked to Madison for a good long while and was so calm and nice with her, Madison actually let her pet her.. she has been VICIOUS lately, even with me, since she is a big tough momma guarding her eggs. I was really impressed with the way the vet took the time to get Madison to calm down and get comfy and everything before even trying to do anything. They also allowed me to assist in getting her into the 'chamber' for the gas stuff so she wouldn't be as scared and it really seemed to help.

Her balance seems even better but she still has VERY stinky diarrhea. I'm on my way now to give her another dose of medicine.. :)
I'm so glad she was ok and I love her and would do anything for her but omg what an expensive trip to the vet that was.. :p

- Sarah

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Just an update - Madison is doing ok.. she has not aid that egg they thought was inside of her and her poop is still humongous although it smells a lot better.. she seems to be constipated now. She
s eating great but never gains weight, like usual.. she will be going in for more blood-work when the antibiotics are all done, whether she seems better or not.. I'm not taking any chances.

- Sarah

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for the update, Sarah. I hope Madison continues to improve. :hug8:

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
Just saw this thread, glad to hear Madison's doing better!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That is good - I hope that she will recover quickly. :hug8:

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
Oh goodness! I just saw this thread...... I'm hoping your baby is doing better now! Sending prayers your way for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.