• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

B&G vs Scarlet vs GW?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I had this exact scenario happen yesterday :( It certainly is not fun- hoping with all my might that today is a better day lol
Aww what did Burt do?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Omg are you okay? Where did he get you? Not on your face I hope. :unsure1:
Got my fingers- worst bit is right next to my nail, thankfully he grabbed more fingers than I think he actually aimed for so he did not manage to get an awesome crunch in but he got a good enough one in. It is the lack of warning that I find hard the hardest to cope with- so impulsive and the warnings seem to come after the obvious action. I guess maybe I am missing something subtle in his feathers or body language.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Frankie gave me no warning when he got me either.
Maybe we're missing something....
Sorry he got you and yes, lucky for you he had too much in his beak to give you a nasty one.
Mind you, all macaw bites are nasty, aren't they?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Eeeeesh :eek:

I hope you’re alright, and I hope that’s the worst of it you’ll ever get (I also hope that made sense)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That sounds though @Shezbug :( It must be so difficult to deal with him like this, not only because obviously it dangerous with such a large bird but also because it must be unpleasant for Burt too and you can’t really do much to help him I think.
Hoping Burt will calm down soon and your injuries will heal smoothly. I admire your courage :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I had this exact scenario happen yesterday :( It certainly is not fun- hoping with all my might that today is a better day lol
Oh I hope your alright how long as he been like this now for will he settle soon ? Must be so heartbreaking you love them so much give them everything you can I know they have to love us back but still it must hurt when he’s behaving like this I know when indie bites me and you can see the meaning in her face it breaks my heart and her beaks tiny

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I always get a feeling before an attempted bite, but I'm probably noting behavioral cues subconsciously.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I always get a feeling before an attempted bite, but I'm probably noting behavioral cues subconsciously.
In my opinion, learning how to read a large parrot's body language/behavioral cues is one of the most important parts of keeping such species.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love them all, but each has their quirks. Christopher, our B&G, can be naughty and unpredictable. She likes to try to sneak up on me and bite me when I'm doing something with her cage and she gets furious if I touch her toys. Then we have Sandy, the B&G at the store. She loves me, but she's also cranky. She can be very sweet with me but sometimes I have to take a tone with her before she gets herself under control. Generally, she's a sweet bird, but she's also very old and not always comfortable so I give her some latitude.

I breed green wings and they are so much fun. Over the last few years, we've had Freya, Enzo, and Bo. They all have different personalities but generally, they are easygoing and affectionate. Freya was very serious and focused as a chick and when I see her now I still see the same attitude. Enzo was silly, easily distracted, and insecure but full of love. Bo is silly and demanding, and she can be loud, but she's a total cuddle bug. She's also a little under the weather at the moment so I give her a lot of leeway too when she's cranky. We have one adult green wing at the store. He was taught to play very rough so his personality is very in-your-face and demanding. He's quick to nip or pinch and has to be constantly reined in or he gets out of control. They all have big personalities but can be gentle and sweet.

My scarlet, Poppy, can be playful, but she can also be a complete witch with very little effort. She bites for her own entertainment. It's not to break the skin, but it's a hard pinch. I think before she used to get a dramatic reaction out of her owners and she thrived on it. Now when she bites me she finds herself on the floor with me sternly telling her that's not going to work on me. It has worked to curb it some, but she still tests me at every opportunity. I've found that scarlets are very much a product of their upbringing. A male scarlet that we had at the store for several years was never taught what would be considered appropriate behavior. His owner was an employee and he lived at the store because she wasn't in a place where she could keep him. He thought nothing of throwing himself at women who walked by and hanging off the back of their heads by their hair. He was basically allowed to do what he wanted. The owners moved, got married, and had a baby. Before the baby came along he still did what he wanted and would bond with various people in the house for short periods of time before he moved on to someone else. It was all fun and games until he went after the newborn and ended up back at the store. I blame the owner more than the bird. In general, I've found scarlets to be tricksters that will test you every chance they get and unless they receive consistent training with set expectations they will run wild. Even with consistent training, they will still test you to see what they can get away with.

My boy Chewie is a ruby so he has personality traits of both greenwing and scarlet. I'm pretty sure his father was the scarlet. He has that trickster personality that is very forward, but I also see the gentleness of the greenwing showing through. He wants to have fun and be silly, but he also wants to be a cuddle bug and just chill with me.

I see some general things that are similar for each species, but it's hard to say exactly that this species always has these specific personality traits. Each bird is different and a product of their environment. I think training is everything.