• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

B&G vs Scarlet vs GW?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He looks very excited to have us groupies.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was going to say absolutely delightful but my phone was wigging out and not letting me edit.

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
GWs stoick and intentional
B&Gs comedic and candid/ in the moment
Scarlets mercurial and aroused

The intentional, candid/in the moment, and aroused behaviors may be what you or others may personally deem nice/ gentle/ fun/ overall positive or they can absolutely be what you or others would deem unbecoming behaviors.
Which is more prevalent is contingent on each individual bird and then it becomes situational from there (health, diet, sleep, overall husbandry, and training taken into consideration)

I'm pretty much team GW but own and enjoy my B&G and very high scarlet content hybrids (HCC and Capri) in the family/flock as well.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My goodness, he's drop dead gorgeous!
Like fine wine over the years, he's just getting better.:xflove:
Looks maybe. His personality aged like milk and vinegar. :laugh: Korbel is so spoiled rotten. Still my sweetest baby as long as he is not looking at Joe or Sambuca. 11 years old now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He thinks so too.
Took 10 minutes to remove him from the desk.
Such vanity.
View attachment 421181
Hmm Do you take mac pics at much more flattering angles than I do or is Burt's head just really huge? :laugh: Korbel is such a tidy looking treasure :heart:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hmm Do you take mac pics at much more flattering angles than I do or is Burt's head just really huge? :laugh: Korbel is such a tidy looking treasure :heart:
For years I've said, YES! Burt has a big head!
Is this a better angle?
IMG_20220101_143817_092_resized.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
For years I've said, YES! Burt has a big head!
Is this a better angle?
View attachment 421200
I know you said he had a huge noggin, lol, tbh it bothered me for a bit thinking he had a fat head! I love that huge head so much that I would not change it for anything, plus it kinda fits neatly with his body. I was told by the vet he was larger than she was used to seeing in B&G's.
Korbel looks so dainty now that I am comparing head sizes lol Still waiting to see a Korbel pic that I could mistake for a Kailua pic lmao All your guys have the most pretty feathers!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know you said he had a huge noggin, lol, tbh it bothered me for a bit thinking he had a fat head! I love that huge head so much that I would not change it for anything, plus it kinda fits neatly with his body. I was told by the vet he was larger than she was used to seeing in B&G's.
Korbel looks so dainty now that I am comparing head sizes lol Still waiting to see a Korbel pic that I could mistake for a Kailua pic lmao All your guys have the most pretty feathers!
Burts head is more greenwing size. Not completely uncommon for some BG, some people call them "Bolivian BG" but I've not done my research into that. Burt is a normal weight though, right? 1100-1200 ish? Korbel is 1200 and Kailua is 950 even though Kailua looks bigger. She is not a flyer so less muscle.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burts head is more greenwing size. Not completely uncommon for some BG, some people call them "Bolivian BG" but I've not done my research into that. Burt is a normal weight though, right? 1100-1200 ish? Korbel is 1200 and Kailua is 950 even though Kailua looks bigger. She is not a flyer so less muscle.
Yes I have heard about the Bolivain BGs being larger too but I also have not looked into it much. Burts parents were like the next size or two up from the breeding pair of B&G's in the next aviary over and every other B&G I have seen up close since having him is like a mini of Burt. Yes his weight is usually either a gram or two under or over 1200

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I should also confess I have always had a struggle getting him to sit still long enough to let the scales get a good read on him. He likes to make the numbers jump and to press the buttons that makes the screen change.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have been seeing a bit of this just this week on various FB groups. Dead or rushed to vet struggling to breathe- I am surprised how many people are still unaware or in disbelief about it being a problem. One of the people whos macs did not make it back home from the vet is still trying to push how her bird should have been fine in the home with a few greys as they had an air purifier and the mac was on the other side of the house from the greys. It is so sad to think of how many people still think they can minimise the risk by adding extra filters or space between the birds. I know how badly I am affected breathing in Birdies dust when I sweep out the aviary and obviously a lot of his dust will be blown away by the weather- I can not imagine how I would cope if he was indoors and I do not want to imagine how it would affect Burt.
I know. People rationalize or are selfish and want what they want. Blue and golds have the highest number of cases, but we don't know if that's due to their numbers or a susceptibility.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma