• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Awkward question...

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
So I don't think this is an emergency yet but I figured this was the best place to put the question.

I let the conures out just now and somehow lost track of one of them. I found her, she was fine, just sitting under the bed, but when I figured out how she got under there I realized she could have chewed on an open pad pack that was in the area. (And since someone will probably ask, I keep them under my bed because otherwise my sister takes all of them.)

Anyway, my question is if she did chew on one, could it hurt her? None of them look chewed, and she has a tenancy to eat on things that she shouldn't, but I've always had her in sight during such and been able to stop her. Should I watch her or is it not a concern?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Look at the oaks carefully again. What is the material they are made of? If they don't look chewed ( birds do chew wood, hemp, poly rope, etc) I'd watch her VERY carefully and watch her poop carefully. Do you know what a good poop should look like? Maybe someone has a picture they can post or you can look it up online. It's 3 part, a tubish kind of brown, or greenish, kind of olive, some whitish stuff, not urine, called urates and the urine. Also, if she sits fluffed on her perch with no energy get her to an avian vet. I would think the ultimate risk would be either a blockage or some fiber wrapping around her internal organs, but if, as you say, you don't see ant evidence of chewing, you should be ok.

on another note, be careful not to let a female particularly get under dark spaces like that. It can encourage hormonal behavior that you'd probably rather not have.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I agree with Katy,any signs of distress get her to a Vet.She probably did not actually chew the product.:hug8:

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
Look at the oaks carefully again. What is the material they are made of? If they don't look chewed ( birds do chew wood, hemp, poly rope, etc) I'd watch her VERY carefully and watch her poop carefully. Do you know what a good poop should look like? Maybe someone has a picture they can post or you can look it up online. It's 3 part, a tubish kind of brown, or greenish, kind of olive, some whitish stuff, not urine, called urates and the urine. Also, if she sits fluffed on her perch with no energy get her to an avian vet. I would think the ultimate risk would be either a blockage or some fiber wrapping around her internal organs, but if, as you say, you don't see ant evidence of chewing, you should be ok.

on another note, be careful not to let a female particularly get under dark spaces like that. It can encourage hormonal behavior that you'd probably rather not have.
She is only a few months old so I don't think the last note is a problem yet, but thank you for the tip.

She was eating before I left home and she didn't look abnormal as far as sleepy or fluffed.

soulgust

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Morgan
I agree with Katy,any signs of distress get her to a Vet.She probably did not actually chew the product.:hug8:
Thank you ^^ I don't think she did either, I'm just paranoid.