• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avoiding Jealousy?

accio-birdies

Moving in
Real Name
Jess
Hibou and Forrest get along very well for such different species! For the most part they are completely uninterested in each other, but they will sing together, eat together, and sometimes they'll try and preen each other, but I avoid super close contact to be on the safe side. Don't worry, they are never left out alone, unsupervised.

This is not necessarily a negative thing, but I wanted peoples advice on the proper way to handle the situation to avoid jealousy or hurt feelings. Both my boys are cuddle bugs and huuuuge mommy's boys so they tend to fight over me. It's nothing aggressive, more just pushing the other aside to get scritches and attention. The culprit is usually, if not always, Forrest. Which makes sense, Caique against Cockatiel? Obviously Hibou is like "nah, I'll just avoid the fight" and flies off, but he always looks so hurt and I know it's not right to reward Forrest for that behaviour, but in my mind it's not necessarily something I feel I should discipline him on either. He's not causing Hibou harm, nor does he have the intention too. He just shoves himself into the cuddles in hopes he can get some too. So, what is the best way to deal with this when it happens? Without hurting Hibou's feelings or Forrest's and without making anyone jealous.

I have tried giving them scritches at the same time, but honestly that takes a lot more concentration then you'd think haha. Any and all advice is welcome!

:wbc::tiel3:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have tried giving them scritches at the same time, but honestly that takes a lot more concentration then you'd think haha.
Looks like you're going to need to hone those concentration skills.

SquawkandHowl

Moving in
Real Name
Lily Kunning
Mine are jealous of one another too. It's always a juggling act!