• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avoiding bumble foot and diet problems for my amputiel.

ellis

Moving in
Hello, I'm kind of concerned about some things regarding my cockatiel, who is an amputee and has nerve damage on her other leg. Currently, she is in a hospital like set up in her cage with towels as bedding. I'm really worried about the possibility of bumble foot. I used to own guinea pigs and I know how painful it can be for the animal. My cockatiel is very unbalanced and unfortunately can end up stepping in her excrement often, both with her stump and her foot. I spot clean her cage every time I see any feces, but sometimes I just don't get there in time. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Additionally, I am worried about her diet. She's finicky, a habit that I was warned is common in healing birds. She currently receives a tablespoon and a half of Zuprems, plus about a teaspoon of seeds and a teaspoon of a dried fruit and veggie mix. Additionally, she is fed fresh foods, but so far I can't seem to get her to eat many fresh foods or veggies. She likes cilantro, cooked corn, and boiled egg whites, and will chow down on dried fruit and vegetables, but not much else. Funnily enough, I've caught her eating ants before. She is a pig, especially with seeds, so I often won't offer seeds until she's eaten the majority of her pellets.

Is this a good diet plan for a more sedentary bird? She cannot climb very high, and we don't encourage it right now as we can't afford for her to break her remaining leg and become a double amputee. First amputation surgery was around $500 alone (not including the Xrays, medication, and further treatments, I probably spent approximately $1.5k-2k for all of it and was fortunate enough to crowd raise most of it) and this pandemic may impact her ability to even receive treatment. I'm just worried. Worried about future health problems for a bird that has already suffered enough.

On the bright side, she is a very happy bird. She chatters when she watches the bird feeder, especially the blue jays. The jays here are bold enough to snag peanuts off the window sill. She is slowly gaining more confidence, but has been less interested in her toys lately. She is very happy and just as snuggly as ever. But I can't help but be anxious.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I can't offer any medical advice. Have you spoken to the vet on what would be the best diet since she is not very active. I have had Cockatiels, 5 in all. Sounds like her diet is good, I would keep offering veggies and fruit, have you tried birdie bread? That's a great way to sneak in healthy foods. I think we all worry about our birds to a certain extent. We love them like our children. Is the Zupreem natural and not the fruity kind, that has sugar and dyes in it. TAke it one day at a time and try not to think about the future. She seems happy, she snuggles and chatters. I think you're doing a great job.