• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Avocado posioning, how quick is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Anna glad all turned out well for your fid.

Not worth it to me to risk my birds lives on me not getting the persin in the safe zone.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
wow what a scare!! :hug8:

even if the green part of the avocado might be okay for the fiddies, I won't risk it. I would rather they get the vitamins avocado's offer through other safer foods.

make sure to give ur bird sitter a list of all the dos and don'ts.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Jourdan won't be getting any more of the green stuff, whether he liked it or not. I don't judge anyone who might give it to their birds. I just don't feel educated enough to take the risk.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
My neighbour has a book on canaries and avocados are recommended as very healthy. I told her not to offer any regardless of what the book says.

Sigrid

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So glad everything turned out ok. This was good info to know. This give me an idea. I am going to print a list of all the toxic foods that way the guys never give it to Squeeky.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
That's really interesting, but if it was given back then and the parrots were fine, then why all of a sudden shouldn't it be given? I mean, unless there's something *new* added to it which makes it so bad, it's got me baffled.

So glad he's alright though, it's scary when they are given something they shouldn't have, but after 6 hours I'd think there'd be signs way before that, within the first 2 and a half hours or so.

Its just advised not to, to error on the side of caution. You know...in case you didnt get all the skin off, or if they got a hold of the pit. Its just one of those things you have to know how to feed, so to be on the safe side, they say dont feed it at all.

Kinda like chocolate, most of the stuff we eat isnt even real chocolate, like cereal and such. Even the candy bars dont have enough of the *real* stuff in it to be dangerous. If a dog eats even a whole bag of M&Ms they would be fine. But...doesnt mean they should be eating it, and we dont want people just being irresponsible, so...we error on the side of caution and say none at all...ya know?

:D thats just my 2 cents though...;)

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
I'm glad your bird will be alright.

But I'm glad you posted this. I wasn't aware avocado was poisonous to birds AT ALL. I will definitely make sure my bird stays away.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Living in near avocado orchards, I used to see birds in the trees, eating the fruit. I do not like to counter what others believe, but I do not ever recall seeing dead birds in those orchards. It is possible that they flew away to die, bit I rode my horse there daily, and never saw anything amiss with the birds. I do believe avocados are toxic, but we eat toxins in our food, too, like raw mushrooms. One avian vet told me it would take a great number of apple seeds to kill a medium sized parrot. Who really knows? I hope your bird is okay.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I was terrified when I saw the thread title. I'm so glad all is well. I did read several years ago a very sad letter in Birdtalk where the parront of two large size birds(I thought one was a macaw)related the horrific deaths of the fids after they were given a burrito that contained guacamole.. I never considered that such a painful account was bogus.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Living in near avocado orchards, I used to see birds in the trees, eating the fruit. I do not like to counter what others believe, but I do not ever recall seeing dead birds in those orchards. It is possible that they flew away to die, bit I rode my horse there daily, and never saw anything amiss with the birds. I do believe avocados are toxic, but we eat toxins in our food, too, like raw mushrooms. One avian vet told me it would take a great number of apple seeds to kill a medium sized parrot. Who really knows? I hope your bird is okay.
That's interesting, and also answers why I remember reading books written before that talked about avocado like any other fruit.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I KNEW more about how things work. THere's been enough written about it that I would never risk giving them to my birds. But also, I hate to be the kind of person that just does things or accepts things out of "common knowledge" without understanding the reasoning behind it for myself. I had a friend who owned a parakeet and avocado was his favorite food and given as long as it was available at the market. She never had heard that there was anything wrong with it and figured it was fine. He lived to be 11.
When people ask me, I do rattle off avocado as a no-no food, but it always bothers me that I don't really understand it.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen

I too have heard this from people with avocado trees, and also from others natural observations in the wild. There must be a stage in the fruits development when it is ripe enough to be yummy to the birds and yet not so ripe that the toxin has leached from the pit into the flesh. Animals KNOW from generations of development when the right time is to eat so many different foods. Unfortunately, we cannot replicate this in the home so it's best to try and avoid these 'so so' foods.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Depending on where the birds live, some have access to clay that binds to the toxins and removes them from the birds body so that the birds are not adversely effected... think about the macaw clay licks that have macaws, amazons and pionus, most often.

In other parts of the world, well who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.