• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Avocado posioning, how quick is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
How quick is avocado poisoning? Is it already too late after they have injested it? If they are acting normal does that mean they will be fine?

Is there anything they can do?

Lex123

OMGosh! Did one of your birds eat some? I would take you bird to a vet, preferably an avian vet, QUICKLY! From what I know, it can be fatal within a hour or two :(

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
He was giving it 6 hours ago, so he should be fine then? My vet is closed, it is 8pm and I am waitinf for a call back

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
How quick is avocado poisoning? Is it already too late after they have injested it? If they are acting normal does that mean they will be fine?

Is there anything they can do?
I honestly would not be overly worried.
While I DO NOT condone feeding it, there are many who do (NOT a good idea in my opinion)
and their birds have been fine.
It is actually the skin...and of course the pitt that are poisonous for birds.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It depends on the avocado itself and if they ingested any of the toxin.

Persin is not always found in the meat of the avocado, but is in the pit, and perhaps the skin as well. Therefore, the meat *might* be fine, but due to worries of the persin leaching into the meat, it is not recommended. Some birds can eat it no problem other birds can eat it and get extremely sick very quickly...

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Dr. McDowell just called me back. I am shaking so bad I can barely type. She said the same thing. The pits and skin and the dark brown guacamole are toxic, but not the regular light green part. My friend shared her food with Jourdan because she has seen me let him eat fresh salsa so she thought the guacamole she brought over for lunch when she was watching the birds would be fine.

I am in in the clear she says because it is a quick killer.

Thank you for your answers while I was waiting for a call back. I feel stupid for crying now when it is all over and nothing is wrong.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
A couple of year ago, someone gave a green wing a alvacado sandwich, (minus the skin and pit, of course). It had been at least an hour before she got a hold of me and the bird appeared fine, but to be on the safe side, I gave him some activated charcoal. He's was no worse for wear. If it had been 6 hours, I would think all would be okay.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I've always wondered about avocado, because I recall (way back when) that it was freely given to birds, and have read books (howbeit old) when they included it as part of a parrot's diet.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am so glad that he is Ok!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've always wondered about avocado, because I recall (way back when) that it was freely given to birds, and have read books (howbeit old) when they included it as part of a parrot's diet.
That's really interesting, but if it was given back then and the parrots were fine, then why all of a sudden shouldn't it be given? I mean, unless there's something *new* added to it which makes it so bad, it's got me baffled.

So glad he's alright though, it's scary when they are given something they shouldn't have, but after 6 hours I'd think there'd be signs way before that, within the first 2 and a half hours or so.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Thank you everyone. He is all tucked up in bed and still just fine.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Glad everything is ok. I know when I had someone birdsit I told her not to give them anything that wasnt on the list and NOT to change any of the toys up..so much for us to worry about. :(

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
i'm so sorry you had to go through that, it's ok to be freakin' out over nothing. i would be too. i'm very glad your bird is good though. what a scare.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Avocado has a lot of good to it and back "when" it was considered OK UNTIL parrots started dieing and the last food eaten was Avocado...
The GREEN "meat" part, not next to the pit (brown meat) and skin can be eaten by parrots BUT you are still running a chance of mixing some in and that is why it was put on the "do not eat" list....
Glad everything is OK and THANK YOU for bring this subject up....it will make us aware.:hug8:

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Strewth it sounds like you had an awful fright...and that your bird may be OK...I hope so, it is so easy for these things to happen no-matter how careful we try to be. I have a rule NObody gives Dusty ANYhing till they check with me....sounds mean but you can't be too careful.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Avocado, when care is taken, is very nutritious. I was apprehensive when several reputable softbill breeders said that they offer avocado. After much talking/researching, them giving to my mousebirds on occassion I learned that it is safe provided that just the light colored flesh is given. The Mexican variety is the best. It is the skin and pit and the surrounding dark flesh clost to either that can cause problems.

Attachments

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad that everything turned out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.