• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aviator vs Flight suit for Illigers

bonneh

Moving in
Real Name
Bonnie
looking for pros and cons/opinions on both please :)

I have an aviator that we've been working with, and although it's pretty early days, he's REALLY not keen on the whole over the head scenario. I know the whole thing is a process, and we'll keep at it, I always end each session on a positive but I'm just concerned it's freaking him out too much and he may wind up put off completely.

Even though the flight suit is bulkier I'm thinking he may be more comfortable given its put on a different way, and I also like the diaper feature, but I'm unsure. Thoughts? TIA

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally dislike the flight suits. I think they’re gross and designed for human wants not the birds health needs.
Have you tried other harnesses like the avian web or leathers for feathers? There’s others too I’m pretty certain.

bonneh

Moving in
Real Name
Bonnie
I'll look those up thanks, I've had a bit of a google but unfortunately it's hard to find anything other than the top brands, and basically I wanna be confident it has a good shot at working better before forking out the money for another one

Like I said my main criteria is one that doesn't need to be put on over the head because that's what his real issue is, despite being pretty well conditioned to having his head and neck touched. Im confident if we could put it on another way he'd being totally fine in it.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
I have pigeon pants(pigeon equivalent to a flight suit) for when I need to take one of my flock inside. The diaper part does keep the poop away from the bird. It’s not designed for long term use, I only let my pigeons use it for an hour or less. I never had the poop get stuck to feathers.
its easy to get on, but pigeons are easy to hold with one hand because they literally can’t bite. Angry pigeon? They just fluff and huff, and smack with their wings.