• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aviator vs. avianweb harness, pro's and con's

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
Hi
I am currently looking into different harnesses for my Macaw and so far, I like the Aviator and the Avianweb ones. Avianweb has two (I think) different versions, one has the shoulder straps, the other is a breastplate without shoulder straps. What is your experience, what are the pro's and con's of them?
Are there other products on the market you like or dislike? And why do you like them or not?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I only have tried the avian web harness, and only with smaller bird. I like it and I have been told it is easier to put on than the aviator. Someone I know has an avian harness for their lovebird and hers is a chewer, after awhile the "leather straps didnt look like they were in the greatest condition but she said it was still usable.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've used both on my GW female, Jasper. I like the AvianWeb more than the Aviator. Several reasons - #1 Jasper is a chewer and I have had to replace several webbings and connectors on the Aviator (made my own replacements) Some more than once. #2 the straps really are much harder to get over the wings with the Aviator. #3 Also the leash is not detachable and that is very unhandy.

I fly Jasper on a line every day for about 1/2 to 3/4 hour with the AvianWeb and have never had any issues with it coming off. She is still a chewer, but not as bad as she was. She did chew a shoulder strap early on, bur I fixed that with my sewing machine. I'm not a bird, but the AvianWeb seems to be quite a lot more comfortable for her. I had the replace their buckles (little bitty pot metal thing that she broke almost immediately) I just bought some metal "D" rings and have not had any more problems.

I've used the AvianWeb a little more than a year.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
My macaw's wing was damaged to the point of rendering him flightless and he's not comfortable being touched so I've never put a harness on him. But, my conure has used both. Overall, I prefer the AvianWeb, but, when it's hot, I will use the Aviator harness because Florida can be rough. I am much more careful with the Aviator because he's already started to chew on it and it's showing wear that the AvianWeb that he's used equally as much, has not. He also tends to chew on the AvianWeb a lot less.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How have I not heard of Avian Web? I need to look into it. @Hankmacaw, do you think it would work for Elvis?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@sunnysmom - I don't see any reason that it wouldn't.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have to use a harness that clips on. None of them like anything going over their heads. Also, they weren't thrilled about me wrapping the strap around their wings. So 3 quick little hooks and they're ready to go without a problem!
20190424_175540_HDR_kindlephoto-408132561.jpg 20180911_183618_HDR.jpg

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
Hankmacaw, which version of the Avianweb do you have, the one with the shoulder straps or the other one? I have been told from the manufacturer that the fake leather one is working well for chewers since they don't like the taste of the material.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Rahel When I bought mine they only had the straps ( nylon straps ). So I don't know about how the ones with the fakes leather would work on a big bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have to use a harness that clips on. None of them like anything going over their heads. Also, they weren't thrilled about me wrapping the strap around their wings. So 3 quick little hooks and they're ready to go without a problem!
View attachment 313511 View attachment 313513
Is that an Avian Web harness? That's my issue with Elvis- the over the head thing. But I also have to make sure Mr. Elvis Hoodini isn't going to get out it.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
The straps are adjustable. Sergei is much thicker thru the middle than Angel. I got them on Amazon. Many colors avail too!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My birds are molting and have pins around the neck, so we're on pause for harness training! I have the Avian Web though. Actually I have the Aviator too, but my conure was traumatized by it. They have good customer service, so definitely ask them questions if needed. Edit, Avian Web, that is.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

berries

Strolling the yard
I use Avian Fashions' flught suit. Its a harness/poop catcher. Its probably not the most comfortable harness but the big draw for me is that the poop catcher makes them welcome in a lot more places than they would be otherwise.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My little one in a avian web harness. The black ones are for my conures... havent tried it on them yet. I opted to have their names etched on it.
These are super cute. I love the etching.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
View attachment 313511 View attachment 313513

They look so simple to put on. My only problem would be that Burt would undo the hooks faster than I could get them done up :(