• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aviator Harness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
So I want to get a flight harness for my GW macaw. He was clipped when he came to me but he is just a baby and I am going to let the flights grow in. Is the Aviator the way to go? I would like to get it now so I can get him used to it plus the nice weather will hopefully be back soon and I would like to bring him outside with the family. :) Would appreciate any thoughts.

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
I have been trying to get a harness on Tik for quite a while......she is having NONE of it :scared5:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
If you watch and follow the dvd that came with it, he really teaches you how to introduce your bird to it. I think they are great, and Steve Hartman is great. He has some awesome articles on his website~
The Parrot University at Hartman Aviary

Macawlvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
James / Krames
If you watch and follow the dvd that came with it, he really teaches you how to introduce your bird to it. I think they are great, and Steve Hartman is great. He has some awesome articles on his website~
The Parrot University at Hartman Aviary
I so agree 100%!

In my experience, the Aviator Harness is definitely the way to go. I have two greenwings and the Aviator Harness has worked out well with both of them, as well as for my other macaws too.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I think it is a safe harness, I hope I use mine more this year with Solo.

Getting him out and about really seems to strenghten our bond.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I the :heart: Aviator

With determination and patience, you will have a bird who wears the aviator willingly.

I recommend watching the video.

However, If you are like me, and watched the video and did NOT do anything he said but to just try it out on your bird. I have to recommend you MUST keep putting it on your bird 6+xs a day. You need to do it a LOT for the first several weeks, so your bird fully adjusts to having it put on and taken off. And each time you put it on, you need to walk around the house or environment several times for atleast 10-15minutes. So your bird gets used to the straps around its body and head without causing damage to the aviator.

The first time your bird is more than likely not have too much protests, but the next few to come (if you do it my way) your bird will protest. But you need to remain calm, and determined to put it on. If your bird shows signs of stress (taking too long to put it on aka your bird is really struggling) then you need to slow down a knotch and do what that video asks. The technique I use is called "flooding" and isnt really recommended, and should only, if ever, be used on a bird who you have its undying trust and companionship. I would never do this on a bird who Im trying to be friends with and I just adopted/got.

But I have heard of people who try it once without much trouble, and then they try again with lots of trouble from their companions, and then they never use the harness. And then their birds are never to allow enjoyment outdoors. So I always tell them, if they are to not be patient (like I was once when I first tried it on Bokka(who actually never seemed to care)) then they need to be consistent and keep trying it on the bird several times a day for the next couple weeks.

And for anyone who uses a harness, they should always keep your bird used to the harness by putting it on your bird atleast once a day once your bird is past adjusting to it.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney

With determination and patience, you will have a bird who wears the aviator willingly.

However, If you are like me, and watched the video and did NOT do anything he said but to just try it out on your bird. I have to recommend you MUST keep putting it on your bird 6+xs a day. You need to do it a LOT for the first several weeks, so your bird fully adjusts to having it put on and taken off. And each time you put it on, you need to walk around the house or environment several times for atleast 10-15minutes. So your bird gets used to the straps around its body and head without causing damage to the aviator.

The first time your bird is more than likely not have too much protests, but the next few to come (if you do it my way) your bird will protest. But you need to remain calm, and determined to put it on. If your bird shows signs of stress (taking too long to put it on aka your bird is really struggling) then you need to slow down a knotch and do what that video asks. The technique I use is called "flooding" and isnt really recommended, and should only, if ever, be used on a bird who you have its undying trust and companionship. I would never do this on a bird who Im trying to be friends with and I just adopted/got.

But I have heard of people who try it once without much trouble, and then they try again with lots of trouble from their companions, and then they never use the harness. And then their birds are never to allow enjoyment outdoors. So I always tell them, if they are to not be patient (like I was once when I first tried it on Bokka(who actually never seemed to care)) then they need to be consistent and keep trying it on the bird several times a day for the next couple weeks.

And for anyone who uses a harness, they should always keep your bird used to the harness by putting it on your bird atleast once a day once your bird is past adjusting to it.
i have to agree with every thing you said hun
and there isnothing better than to be able to take your bird with you when you go out
you will be so proud of him her .lol
but look out when winter comes thats a problem then you need to spend more time with him as they dont understand not going out when you do .
ask me i been paying the price with mango.
he rides the bus towtruck and wheelchair he realy loves going out
get that harness fast its one of the best dollars you could spend
have fun enjoy

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

i have to agree with every thing you said hun
and there isnothing better than to be able to take your bird with you when you go out
you will be so proud of him her .lol
but look out when winter comes thats a problem then you need to spend more time with him as they dont understand not going out when you do .
ask me i been paying the price with mango.
he rides the bus towtruck and wheelchair he realy loves going out
get that harness fast its one of the best dollars you could spend
have fun enjoy
Oh I know, my 'toos LOVE it outdoors!! They perch on my window sill in my room and in their room always looking outside. They love to be outside:cool1:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I love my aviator. I take Squeeky outside with it on and have had no problems.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
thanks everyone I will have to try it out!:)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have an Aviator Harness.. I take my Green Cheek for walks all the time - she loves it! funny how you get 'the looks' too. :hehe:

pga7602

Jogging around the block

She said it all. This girly speaks the truth! :highfive:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I have a Aviatar Harness for Sammy, I have not used in about 2 years. Sammy is flighted now and I am scared to bring her outside (with her being flighted), and what if the harness is not on right or something, I just don't want to take that risk. I would hate for her to get away, my life would be ruined if she got away (Sammy and I are best friends)

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I have a Aviatar Harness for Sammy, I have not used in about 2 years. Sammy is flighted now and I am scared to bring her outside (with her being flighted), and what if the harness is not on right or something, I just don't want to take that risk. I would hate for her to get away, my life would be ruined if she got away (Sammy and I are best friends)
What is Sammy? she looks so beautiful in your siggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.