• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aviary mix or budgie seed for finch?

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Well, i have a finch in recovery at the moment, and i was just wondering whether aviary mix or budgie seed would be best for it?

I am currently feeding it aviary mix, which it seems to eat.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am not sure what aviary mix is. Can you get some finch mix? Do you know the contents of your mixes? I give mine 4 or 5 types of millet, canary seed, flax, niger, .... I think that''s all.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
ok thank you! I have it in with my budgies so now, it is eating budgie seed too, and it seems to like that!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might have wanted to quarantine the goldfinch from the budgies. I don't remember how long you have had the finch but always best to quarantine new birds for at least 30 days and more if possible.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
You might have wanted to quarantine the goldfinch from the budgies. I don't remember how long you have had the finch but always best to quarantine new birds for at least 30 days and more if possible.
yeh, i took it back out. my budgies were picking on it too.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
yeh, i took it back out. my budgies were picking on it too.
Any quarantine was broken when you put the goldfinch in with the budgies. Good idea that you took the finch out if the budgies were picking on it.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
yeah... it seemed to be pretty healthy tho, which is good. I'm going to wait a while before I try putting the finch back in my aviary tho.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
yeah... it seemed to be pretty healthy tho, which is good. I'm going to wait a while before I try putting the finch back in my aviary tho.

The diseases/illnesses that quarantine is designed to help prevent spreading can be symptom free for 30-60 days or even longer. Was it a rescue from the wild or how did you get him?

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
i rescued zephyr from our cat, she had only just caught him/her so i was lucky. although i think zephyr might have had one wing a bit damaged.