• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian vets near u

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've only been on a ferry once, I was a tiny kid and it was the one over to Mackinac Island. I don't remember, although there are pictures I think.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've only been on a ferry once, I was a tiny kid and it was the one over to Mackinac Island. I don't remember, although there are pictures I think.
I have been to Mackinac Island a lot! I'm only about 2 hours away so it's a lot easier. Actually got married there :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Closest car ferry from me is just 15 mins away. Ferry is Málaga-Morocco (well, I think it is Melilla, which is Spain, but geographically is is in Africa. Look at it on a map).
We have a load of ferries further down the coast a few hours away. More ferries to Tanger, Morocco, and also some other parts of the Med.

I´ve been on a few ferries in my time, but never taken my car on one. Been on P&O from England to France, and also the StenaLine from Stranraer, Scotland to Ireland.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been on ferries between England and the Isle of Wight, England and France, England to Guernsey, Scotland to Bute... there are lots of ferries in the UK. There's even a hovercraft from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight which I haven't been on but want to go on sometime.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No ferry available for me to cross Lake Erie. The other side is Canada and apparently they want you to use the border! Any swimmers or boaters into the country are frowned upon. :bignono:

I am extremely lucky to have two certified avian diplomates nearby! My chosen vet is 45 minutes away. One hour if it's during rush hour travel times. I also have Cornell University within reach.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've only been on a ferry once when I was 4 or 5, I think I was going to a wedding on an island or something :roflmao:

Our avian vet is 13 minutes away, there are also a few more within 40 minutes.

Tangoares

Walking the driveway
Haha! We have to take a ferry to get off the coast ( sunshine coast BC ) To get to Vancouver. No bridges here to/ from coast. There is an non assessable dirt road that goes a different way which was used for logging, but nobody can go that way.

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've only been on a ferry once when I was 4 or 5, I think I was going to a wedding on an island or something :roflmao:

Our avian vet is 13 minutes away, there are also a few more within 40 minutes.
I'm moving soon, and just checked, and the vet is only a 1 minute drive or 7 minute walk away from the new house! :yes4:

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
I have to drive an hour and the vet is an exotic species vet not avian exactly which I was worried about but when i got there they asked me about 50 questions about her like do I give her vegetables and what kind, do I give her pellets, what kind of perches are in the cage, how bigs the cage, how many toys and what kind, etc etc...so I felt better after that. She really knew her stuff and I was glad that if a new bird owner were to go to her she would have great advise for them.

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I have a vet not boar certified but has been doing birds for 40years he is a bird owner himself and is very knowledgeable however hes not big on doing test unless something is OBVIOUSLY wrong he very fast to hes about 20 min ive went to animal medical in manhattan for more serious issues they have a 24 hour 365 emergency and avian exotics department with 3 board certified avaian doctors rotating shifts .. they even have a mri test that they developed they are the only place that has it its a mri but requires no anesthesia and its only 2 minutes is a box with oxygen they have wrote papers on it .
Sometimes it pays to live in nyc its 45!min drive

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Linda Stern, DVM, and her all exotics practice is 15 minutes from me. Linda is also a dedicated holistic vet. Myself, I prefer traditional medicine, so she and I compromise.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm with @Tiel Feathers on vets... although I'm closer to one of them.

There are no board certified avian vets in the entire freakin state of Nevada... but there are 5 or 6(?) vets in the area that see birds. The closer one that @Tiel Feathers is probably referring to is 10-15 minutes away for me... the other one? A minimum of a 2 hour drive...

Well, the one that's further away has two or three vets that sees birds but are not AVBP certified. That said, they are learning under the guidance of a vet that is.

There's supposedly another vet that sees birds just 40 minutes away.... and another maybe 50-60 minutes?

The last vet office I went to though was the one that's 2 hrs away... went twice, saw two separate vets. I do need to go back, but I haven't set up an appointment or anything, not since the shut down... I don't really like this entire COVID stuff... I prefer being in the exam room and being able to speak face to face.... and the main reason I was going to this vets office? A bird that's been mysteriously sick for a long while... and who no longer seems to be mysteriously ill...