• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Vet Visits: What are the risks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Thank you all for your input and T.I.A. for any opinions & experiences yet to be shared.

Even if risks are minimal, I myself will continue to do my best to not take any of my flock into a vet office, unless absolutely necessary and then I will take all precautions that I can to minimize the risks. Preferably I would ask the avian vet if he/she could come to my home and do the exam/treatment here. I would want them to come over first thing in the morning, before going to the office.

Luckily I guess (knock on wood), I have never had a bird that was hatched out here ever needing to go to a vet for anything. The handful that I have taken during the last 20 yrs. or so, came to me from poor quality type homes.

Continued good luck to everyone.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have (mostly) budgies. They're far more likely to die from non-contagous tumors than anything they might catch at a vet's office, so on the balance, taking them in for checkups where lumps and bumps might be found is far more important than any risk of infection. Fear of contagion has never kept me, my cat, or my dogs from the doctor's office when we needed to go, and neither will it stop me from taking the birds in.

That said, I do avoid boarding my animals at vets' offices to avoid possible exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.