• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Influenza 2022

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Interview with Kristin Sinclair DVM, DABVP from the Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital...
Thanks for sharing, Steve!! This was very informative!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dr.O said it’s going to be bad this year and that I should cover the aviary entirely. Oiy…crap if I plexiglass the front so it still feels open…ideas so no birds crash outside? I’ll put a solid roof on top and something on the sides as well so at least it can be an extra room for them to use.

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Possible Avaian Flu in a Purple Martin colony in FL. The landlord has several dead birds, more sick, on the ground. I do not know if he has poultry as well. His info he posted was limited so far. I will post more as I get it.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Chlorhexidine doesn’t seem to have any virucidal properties that I could find. :shrug2: It seems like a good disinfectant, though. It’s used to treat gingivitis, which surprised me.
You're right I didn't even realize that. I definitely use it as a general disinfectant around the house. For virucidal, hospitals use Cavi-wipes, Sani-wipes, what we tend to call purple wipes. It kills pretty much any virus, TB, even COVID. There's not much odor, you do need to use gloves for it. Not for skin contact... Though I sometimes just use my hands for a quick wipe and then wash my hands afterwards. I use these wipes religiously to disinfectant my workstation, stethoscope, phones, pens, etc... Haven't gotten sick at all during this pandemic so hopefully I'm doing something right. COVID has made me sorta a germaphobe lol...not just COVID but all the other typical viruses that started showing up again when ppl stopped wearing masks. We're now seeing influenza A at the hospital where I work. I personally haven't seen the flu since COVID started because everyone was masked up. But now that it's back, I'm considering buying purple wipes to disinfect everything around my house. Seriously purple wipes are the best. I feel so clean afterwards. On the days when I feel super germaphobic, I even purple wipe anytime my stuff touches a counter or patient.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yes this is very scary ..no outdoor adventures for my birds ;)

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read it. Very sobering. Can’t believe it’s legal. I didn’t watch the video; I don’t want to see anyone tortured to death. Thank you for raising awareness.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some good news that reflects the seasonality of this issue in my area.

My local wildlife rehab is accepting song birds again after a pause and will reassess if fall migration results in elevated levels/risks.

(source)

Last edited: