• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Influenza 2022

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I went thru my disinfectants,
Lysol is definite yes. 16489214782221898371781.jpg 1648921502291421386657.jpg 16489215478461402561832.jpg
Citrus II is possible yes
1648921619299710524035.jpg 1648921644846619318529.jpg
Tru-Clean I am going call Monday morning because there is no definite answer 1648921679312702850507.jpg
I'm not sure about F-10 because I don't have any in the house.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since I keep seeing this topic pop up I checked out the current situation in the US. There have been 482 wild birds (across 28 states) and 17,271,073 poultry (across 23 states) affected. Yikes :eek:

Bear in mind that the numbers for poultry are so high not because they've been infected or died of avian influenza but because if the virus is found in even one bird, the entire flock is killed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
To add to Steves post, that tin says it has a Linen scent, so it´s a scented aerosol.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I know you're aware of this, but posting for the benefit of those who may not -- no aerosol products are safe to use around our birds.
To add to Steves post, that tin says it has a Linen scent, so it´s a scented aerosol.
This will be OUTSIDE OF MY DOOR just like I did with covid.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this level of biosecurity necessary? I try to avoid over exposure to chemicals. No outside shoes go in.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I believe it is, for couple of reasons. One this is high pathogenic avian Influenza, there are 2 forms of avian influenza HPAI and LPAI or low pathogenic avian influenza.
My friend Nick from my volunteer days is vet tech that once worked in a more rural clinic until recently. He is very worried about HPAI. He lives near Mississippi River and has already seen dead & dying ducks and geese near his home. Not just a couple here and there but lots.
We talked about it today his 2 macaws will be staying indoors unless emergency vet visits. Secondly I live in apartment building out door shoes have to come in. We can not leave them public hallways. Hence Lysol spray, plus living ground floor level Bebe will not be going on porch. The ducks and geese come right to my screened in porch.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

After all this world lost from covid I'm being extra cautious with HPAI.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Hey, better safe than sorry. Our birds are irreplaceable.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shoes go in the front hall closet; I meant I don’t wear outside shoes inside.

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I use chlorhexadine. You can get a gallon from Amazon for $15 (the blue stuff). You only need a capful to dilute it with water in a large spray bottle. I like it since it can be used on animals (not super sure about birds, but if I can do a chlorhexadine soak on a wounded snake, I figured it should be ok). I try not to spray it too far from the surface to avoid droplets getting in the air. Hospitals use it all the time to sterilize patients for procedures. I use it a lot to wash out any wounds on my dogs. Also use it to wipe down countetops. PLUS, it actually smells good.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Chlorhexidine doesn’t seem to have any virucidal properties that I could find. :shrug2: It seems like a good disinfectant, though. It’s used to treat gingivitis, which surprised me.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
What I found (bold emphasis is what stood out to me in the context of this thread) ...

Chlorhexidine gluconates
Chlorhexadine-containing compounds are frequently used as disinfectants and for wound cleaning. They are considered relatively nontoxic and noncorrosive, and safe for use around birds. They have good activity against many bacteria, yeast (particularly Candida) and some enveloped viruses. It has limited use against some bacteria, spores produced by mycobacteria and nonenveloped viruses. In general, it should not be considered viracidal. It is ineffective in the presence of organic debris and has limited stability. It must be made fresh at least once per day.
(source)

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Interview with Kristin Sinclair DVM, DABVP from the Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital...

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Wow- this virus is scary!