• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Influenza 2022

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I've been seeing a lot of people on here bring their birds out and about, and I don't think many on here know this, but it is a real issue. There is a highly contagious Avian Influenza that has quickly spread through almost all parts of the USA and some other countries. Parrots and domestic birds can catch it from contact with wild birds, and poultry & waterfowl are the main carriers. The symptoms are subtle, and the main symptom is sudden death.

You can help prevent your parrots from getting this by:
  • Only taking them out to see the vet, not for 'pleasure' walks
  • Washing your hands after being around any outside birds
  • Wearing separate clothing when tending to outdoor birds vs indoor birds
  • Washing ALL food and water bowls well
  • Not allowing ANY interaction with any poultry or birds that live outside
All the best,
Ollie

LovieLouie

I've been seeing a lot of people on here bring their birds out and about, and I don't think many on here know this, but it is a real issue. There is a highly contagious Avian Influenza that has quickly spread through almost all parts of the USA and some other countries. Parrots and domestic birds can catch it from contact with wild birds, and poultry & waterfowl are the main carriers. The symptoms are subtle, and the main symptom is sudden death.

You can help prevent your parrots from getting this by:
  • Only taking them out to see the vet, not for 'pleasure' walks
  • Washing your hands after being around any outside birds
  • Wearing separate clothing when tending to outdoor birds vs indoor birds
  • Washing ALL food and water bowls well
  • Not allowing ANY interaction with any poultry or birds that live outside
All the best,
Ollie
is the avian flu airborne?? As long as they don’t play with wild birds then they should be ok right? I ask because I think taking your bird outside can be enriching for them I’m not sure how a “pleasure walk” would hurt them?

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
It isn't... yet.
The main concern would be touching something that has the virus or your bird touching it, and transmitting it to your bird.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's direct contact via feces, nasal secretions & saliva. Example: If an infected bird landed on a park bench & later your bird sat on the same bench it could get the virus.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
It's direct contact via feces, nasal secretions & saliva. Example: If an infected bird landed on a park bench & later your bird sat on the same bench it could get the virus.
Or, if you touched that, than touched your bird with that exact spot without washing it off.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like it spreads easily. :(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It's in Minnesota, 5 different counties have reported it in flocks of turkeys and a mixed backyard flock of ducks, chickens & geese. Because I feed the wild fowl that swim on my creek I am worried about bringing in the house any way, shape or form.
So I will either not feed the ducks or follow my own covid rules coming into my apt. Sanitize before the door, Lysol shoes, wash hands with hand sanitizer or soap and water before I walk in .
I'm more worried if it becomes airborne.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't think many on here know this,
We have had a few threads recently with links to articles etc
Things are still pretty bad in my hometown in the UK :(

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Yeah, there are none confirmed in my state yet, but there are cases confirmed in every surrounding state, so I have a feeling we'll be next :(

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
My guess would be that it will mutate and become airborne, as viruses do. It's only a matter of time :(
That's certainly the plotline in most movies (I like movies too), but do you have any evidence/research to support the assertion that viruses tend to mutate and become airborne in real life? Ebola and HIV would both disagree. The sources I've looked at tend to list direct contact as the most common route (example, example), and make no reference to this progression.

Influenza in people is thought to be primarily spread in droplets (source), but if our birds aren't interacting with wild birds, then this leaves direct contact as the primary vector (as supported by this specific publication about Avian Influenza, quoted below).

Avian influenza is mainly spread by direct contact between infected birds and healthy birds. It can also be transmitted when birds come in contact with equipment or materials (including water and feed) that have been contaminated with feces or secretions from the nose or mouth of infected birds.
People can also spread the disease indirectly from farm to farm by their carrying the virus on their clothing, boots or vehicle wheels.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
This will be the first year of my living here that Bebe can go out on my porch either caged. Or because my porch is screened in he could fly out there. But if this avian influenza is in my county neither will happened. I will not risk it because he is elderly (16years old).

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
That's certainly the plotline in most movies (I like movies too), but do you have any evidence/research to support the assertion that viruses tend to mutate and become airborne in real life? Ebola and HIV would both disagree. The sources I've looked at tend to list direct contact as the most common route (example, example), and make no reference to this progression.

Influenza in people is thought to be primarily spread in droplets (source), but if our birds aren't interacting with wild birds, then this leaves direct contact as the primary vector (as supported by this specific publication about Avian Influenza, quoted below).

Avian influenza is mainly spread by direct contact between infected birds and healthy birds. It can also be transmitted when birds come in contact with equipment or materials (including water and feed) that have been contaminated with feces or secretions from the nose or mouth of infected birds.
People can also spread the disease indirectly from farm to farm by their carrying the virus on their clothing, boots or vehicle wheels.
It was just a guess, sorry if I made it seem like it was something that was sure to happen. Let's just hope things don't go down that road, it may be a total disaster...

Momof3litt

Avian influenza is such a concern since once it gets into a commercial flock (i.e. poultry, ducks or geese) the flock must be culled, which is a huge financial loss and an increase in food supply instability. The likelihood of a single pet bird encountering avian influenza from a walk out on their harness or in a carrier is so incredibly low. I walk with my bird regularly and I can't even imagine how we would encounter it, we are on wide open paths and not touching anything.

That said, some cities are asking people to take down or refrain from putting up bird feeders this year, so that we are not encouraging wild birds to come into close contact with humans. I've also decided this is not the year to adopt chickens, those who already have a flock will have to work harder to keep them safe. Wash your hands and remove shoes/outerwear when you come in from outside.

It's much more problematic to those who keep outdoor birds who are not enclosed, like raptors and poultry. I hope all of our members and their birds will be able to stay healthy!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
We have had a few threads recently with links to articles etc
Things are still pretty bad in my hometown in the UK :(

Yep, UK and Jersey, Channel Islands too.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
This write-up from the Government of Canada is the most practical explainer I've read, and includes...
  • Signs of a sick bird
  • Reporting sick or dead birds
  • Feeding wild birds in your backyard
  • Protecting domestic and captive birds
  • Information for migratory bird permit holders
  • Decontamination protocols following contact with wild birds or wild bird droppings
  • Information for hunters
  • Previous alerts
  • Additional information

BirdLady13

Since I keep seeing this topic pop up I checked out the current situation in the US. There have been 482 wild birds (across 28 states) and 17,271,073 poultry (across 23 states) affected. Yikes :eek: