• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Flu???

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
So apparently there’s an avian flu going around that’s highly contagious to all birds and caused a bunch of turkeys to be put down. I can’t find any information about this disease so I’m reaching out here. How deadly is it to birds? Can it be treated at all? What is the treatment? What should I do if I think they’re sick? How do I protect my birds? Please somebody help me. These birds are my World and if anything happens to them, I would never forgive myself. Will they be okay?

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
I don’t bring my birds out and about; they always stay indoors. Are they safe?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t bring my birds out and about; they always stay indoors. Are they safe?
If you’ve been in contact with anything outside that wild birds may have been in contact with (park benches, branches etc) then make sure that you wash up well before going near your bird.
If your bird is an indoor bird and you don’t bring branches in or you don’t go cleaning or hanging out in other peoples outside aviaries you should be fine.

When we had bird flu in my area I was extra careful and made sure to properly wash any veggies I grew and I didn’t go foraging for branches and foliage for my birds. We had many thousand heads of poultry euthanised in my town and also in many other bird farms within a close distance of my home- this has happened at least 5 times since I’ve had birds and my guys have been fine.
The chances of you bringing it home are slim to none if you are aware of what other birds may have been in contact with and avoid it.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
So apparently there’s an avian flu going around that’s highly contagious to all birds and caused a bunch of turkeys to be put down. I can’t find any information about this disease so I’m reaching out here. How deadly is it to birds? Can it be treated at all? What is the treatment? What should I do if I think they’re sick? How do I protect my birds? Please somebody help me. These birds are my World and if anything happens to them, I would never forgive myself. Will they be okay?
@BabyBirdMa ---Started last year in Europe... sure helps to 'keep aware'...
FYI-- much of the general media posts have tried to calm the general public that the human population will be OK... The fact that they don't include our pet birds into their discussion/ concerns... makes me angry! Just stay aware of the circumstances, and be prepared...

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Can't EVEN imagine... losing my outdoor birds to such a disease... tho NON-PREVENTABLE!

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
If you’ve been in contact with anything outside that wild birds may have been in contact with (park benches, branches etc) then make sure that you wash up well before going near your bird.
If your bird is an indoor bird and you don’t bring branches in or you don’t go cleaning or hanging out in other peoples outside aviaries you should be fine.

When we had bird flu in my area I was extra careful and made sure to properly wash any veggies I grew and I didn’t go foraging for branches and foliage for my birds. We had many thousand heads of poultry euthanised in my town and also in many other bird farms within a close distance of my home- this has happened at least 5 times since I’ve had birds and my guys have been fine.
The chances of you bringing it home are slim to none if you are aware of what other birds may have been in contact with and avoid it.
I don’t give them outside stuff. I’ve never trusted it. I’m naturally a germaphobe and have made sure to only give my birds clean stuff from trusted petstores. I don’t go out much either. Maybe I’ll keep my shoes in a different room and wash my hands before touching them if I went to work that day.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
@BabyBirdMa ---Started last year in Europe... sure helps to 'keep aware'...
FYI-- much of the general media posts have tried to calm the general public that the human population will be OK... The fact that they don't include our pet birds into their discussion/ concerns... makes me angry! Just stay aware of the circumstances, and be prepared...
Ugh! That infuriates me too! I don’t care what happens to me at all; I just want my bird children to be safe! I can handle being sick but the thought of them getting sick scares me.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Basically I am going to follow same procedure that I did for covid.
1. Nothing comes in my door that I can't sanitize prior to walking in my door. That means Lysol or alcohol wipes in my granny cart to spray shoes, wipe down wheels of my cart with. Hand sanitizer in my pocket for my hands until I can wash them thoroughly.
2. Nobody in and out the door from outside without sanitizing their shoes and hands. If you don't like my protocol then don't come in my house.
I was super strict about this in beginning of covid. And I will be strict about it now because Bebe's life is just as important as my life. I live in a area with creek lots of ducks, geese and a few feral chickens. I normally feed them but until I know that this is better under control that may stop.
Minnesota just implicated a 30 day ban on any poultry sales, shows, exhibits to try and put some safe measures in place.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
This topic keeps popping up, so I'll leave this related link here: Human illness (see last reply in thread)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Basically I am going to follow same procedure that I did for covid.
1. Nothing comes in my door that I can't sanitize prior to walking in my door. That means Lysol or alcohol wipes in my granny cart to spray shoes, wipe down wheels of my cart with. Hand sanitizer in my pocket for my hands until I can wash them thoroughly.
2. Nobody in and out the door from outside without sanitizing their shoes and hands. If you don't like my protocol then don't come in my house.
I was super strict about this in beginning of covid. And I will be strict about it now because Bebe's life is just as important as my life. I live in a area with creek lots of ducks, geese and a few feral chickens. I normally feed them but until I know that this is better under control that may stop.
Minnesota just implicated a 30 day ban on any poultry sales, shows, exhibits to try and put some safe measures in place.
MINNESOTA!!!? Didn't realize migrating birds were headed that far north this early! DANG!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Pat H. Some of the migrating water fowl never leave, there is open water on rivers that have dams. Alot of them come back mid March. They aren't nesting cuz there was snow on the ground still. But there is alot of hanky panky if you get my drift.
Being right on creek last summer there was squads of mama & baby ducks. Even Canadian Honkers geese with little ones.