• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ChrisH

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christina Hillyard
Bird flu aka Avian flu is in my area of the Pacific Nothwest. There is a confirmed report 12 miles from me in a domestic flock. There are several protected wetlands for local and migratory bird species, one of which is 3 miles from my house. Many people here have chicken and/or duck flocks.

My concern is... I love to garden outside for my birds. Could giving these fresh items expose them even though I clean with apple cider vinegar first?

I also get worried about produce from the store. In our agricultural area people shop constantly with farm grime on them... we all feel veggies before we buy. Is it a possibility to spread it this way?

Is there an effective way to disinfect that I am not aware of? Am I too paranoid?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

ChrisH

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christina Hillyard
Thank you for sharing
Thank you for sharing! I have read a lot of articles and regarding food disinfection I am not seeing anything pertinent to the food safety besides cooked things. I wonder if I should dry the herbs in the oven at 165°? I might need to expirament... but right now it is way too hot to turn the oven on!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Maybe you should cook them outside :embarassed::laughing6: