• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

avian flu in USA

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is sad to hear.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I think it was about 5months [?] ago that I heard about bird flu near Japan... Only 2x mentions about it... then NOTHING.

ems08

Walking the driveway
My vet put out a notice to all local poultry owners to move their birds inside if possible.
screenshot_20220121-224908_chrome.jpg

The NC zoo has also closed their aviary to the public to try to keep their flock safe. Scary!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Momof3litt Where was it detected in Canada?! I haven't heard about this.

@ems08 Do you mind stating your state or province? I find this edict quite shocking.

ems08

Walking the driveway
@ems08 Do you mind stating your state or province? I find this edict quite shocking.
North Carolina, US-- The vet is in Raleigh and treats birds (including poultry and fowl) in a large area of the state. Unless you have a suitable coop set up with a contained (roofed) outdoor area rather than free range, I can't imagine how someone would suddenly house their chickens indoors for a month+.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
@Momof3litt Where was it detected in Canada?! I haven't heard about this.
It doesn't state where, but the page I linked above (from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency) has this text:

"On December 22, 2021, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has advised the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) of a confirmed presence of a high pathogenic Avian Influenza (H5N1) in Canada."

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So there are two diseases lurking. Great.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
So there are two diseases lurking. Great.
well not necessarily, the article says they think it's possible people in the neighborhood might be poisoning them because of the mess they create.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I prefer to give the people the benefit of the doubt ‘till it’s clear it’s poison.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I prefer to give the people the benefit of the doubt ‘till it’s clear it’s poison.
of course! no argument there at all.
But you were jumping to the conclusion that there were two diseases and that isn't proven either.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is precisely the kind of lack of logic that leads to misinformation, something I rarely do, but I was rushed & apologize.

Edited to add: I'm also a bit overprotective of crows. They're so maligned, but I find them fascinating & really love them. This may have influenced me too. They roost in a specific spot every evening here. I see them most days as they fly by my balcony by the hundreds.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
This is precisely the kind of lack of logic that leads to misinformation, something I rarely do, but I was rushed & apologize.

Edited to add: I'm also a bit overprotective of crows. They're so maligned, but I find them fascinating & really love them. This may have influenced me too. They roost in a specific spot every evening here. I see them most days as they fly by my balcony by the hundreds.
haha you are preaching to the choir. Here's my bronzes by a local woman artist I saw at an arts festival and tortured myself about the price until I couldn't take it anymore and brought them home. She captured such body language.
I get crows and ravens up here, and one crow and I have conversations where we say 'hello' back and forth.

IMG_8305.JPG

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a crow that likes to tease my budgies. Seriously outrages Marzipan. :laugh: