• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Diets

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's certainly a good general guide to follow! :)

I was amused that lychee was listed... and I tend to eat it before any of the birds get it! :lol:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I liked this article but I saw a few things missing like Amaranth & Buckwheat which I thought very nutritious especially sprouted. There are others too but these were surprising to be off the grains list. Did I misunderstand them to be good?

@finchly @JoJo&Loki
just tagging you ladies in.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Great article, thanks for sharing!

According to this, we’re doing good at 30-40% pellets, lots of veggies, sprouts and seeds. :dance5:
I even got a great tip to try from it- bell peppers are one thing my birds haven’t liked but I think they just may if I hang them in thin slices with the seeds showing like he recommends.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I liked this article but I saw a few things missing like Amaranth & Buckwheat which I thought very nutritious especially sprouted. There are others too but these were surprising to be off the grains list. Did I misunderstand them to be good?

@finchly @JoJo&Loki
just tagging you ladies in.

Yes, adzuki beans aren’t mentioned either. It’s a good general list though. Just not a complete list

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any of the budgies I have had in the past would never eat any peppers served in any fashion. I find this strange because they do not have a bad taste.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Any of the budgies I have had in the past would never eat any peppers served in any fashion. I find this strange because they do not have a bad taste.
It’s probably just one of the many weird budgie things then :laugh: Mine also haven’t liked any herbs I’ve tried either. The other day I put in fresh dill and they both tried it for a nibble and decided it was awful I guess. Same goes for rosemary, thyme etc I don’t want to complain too much though, cuz there are plenty of greens they do like :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

My smaller birds do not eat them. The caiques and Pionus love them

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I was somewhat surprised that his list of fruits included mango but not papaya. Mangoes have enzymes, but they only break down carbohydrates into sugars, while the paypaya enzyme breaks down protein into the elements that build muscle. Sugar is immediately metabolized into fat.

"Papayas contain the digestive enzyme papain, which breaks down proteins into building blocks, including amino acids. Make sure to eat papayas ripe and uncooked, as high heat can destroy their digestive enzymes.

Mangoes contain the digestive enzyme amylase, which breaks down carbs from starch (a complex carb) into sugars like glucose and maltose. Amylase also helps mangoes ripen."
12 Foods That Contain Natural Digestive Enzymes

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Take care with that bushel basket - it is know as the "poopy fruit" where it is grown.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, adzuki beans aren’t mentioned either. It’s a good general list though. Just not a complete list
Thank you! I've really been trying to do my research. I noticed a few other things missing too but these 2 are supposed to be really great. Wanted to be sure I wasn't misinformed.

I was somewhat surprised that his list of fruits included mango but not papaya. Mangoes have enzymes, but they only break down carbohydrates into sugars, while the paypaya enzyme breaks down protein into the elements that build muscle. Sugar is immediately metabolized into fat.

"Papayas contain the digestive enzyme papain, which breaks down proteins into building blocks, including amino acids. Make sure to eat papayas ripe and uncooked, as high heat can destroy their digestive enzymes.

Mangoes contain the digestive enzyme amylase, which breaks down carbs from starch (a complex carb) into sugars like glucose and maltose. Amylase also helps mangoes ripen."
12 Foods That Contain Natural Digestive Enzymes

Very interesting. I personally knew the sugar to fat thing. I didn't know Mangos were pure sugar. This was a fruit the vet I "used" to go to recommend in place of some of the bad ones like grapes. I may just continue to get it once in a blue moon, variety is the spice of life. :hug6:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's not that mangoes are pure sugar, but that the enzyme in mangoes break carbohydrates (all fruits have a large percentage of carbohydrates) down into sugar which metabolizes in the bird directly to fat. On the other hand the enzyme in papaya breaks down protein molecules into the building blocks for muscle and all other tissue in the body.