• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Calm Diatary Suppliments

MaxTheBird

Moving in
Hello,
Yesterday I went to a bird shop and was surprised to see that even though there were many birds, there was minimal screaming from them. The owner, who is educated, mentioned that he uses a suppliment that you sprinkle in their food once a day. I looked it up online and found a trusted brand called "Equa Holistics Avian Calm Diatery Suppliments." I was wondering if anyone uses such suppliments for behaviors like screaming, biting, plucking, anxiety, etc and if it actually works, or is just a scam.

Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not necessarily a scam. There is some research behind the ingredients in things like that. However, just like any medication or supplement, it's only part of the equation and also doesn't with the same for all birds. I tried to use one for my quaker who will scream 8 to 12 hours a day and it didn't do anything for him. I think things like that are best used as part of a larger holistic approach, rather than as the sole element.

A bird who is engaged and feels fulfilled is less likely to make "unnecessary" noise. My Jardine's is silent most of the day, doesn't have any supplement to make him that way. I encourage movement with his play area and foraging.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with Mizzely that an enriched and engaging day is the best remedy. My parrots are only excitable and loud in the morning before breakfast and in the evening when they are getting ready for bed. Most of the day they are far to busy doing other activities: foraging, toy shredding, flying, chattering to each other, etc. That they don't really ever scream or act over the top.

In terms of medicating for no screaming, I will share an ancedote and my own opinion. Generally I think it is a bad idea, although it may have worked for some people and some birds. I would be very cautious feeding anything that alters a birds mental state. I have experience with a cockatoo who plucked. She was getting treatment from a veterinarian, including anti-depressants. The medication changed her behaviour from being a frustrated young bird to being a confused and anxious bird. I think it made things far worse for her in the long run. When she stopped plucking and was generally doing better she continued to be anxious. It is one thing to medicate a human who can be told how the medicine will make one feel. For a bird they don't have a good understanding of what is happening, and suddenly they don't have control over their own mental state.

I think mind altering medication or supplements needs to be very carefully regarded. If the shop you went to was really medicating all of their birds I would be a bit suspicious of the place.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is it ethical to give birds a supplement that are for sale in a store so they will appear calm and quiet?

MaxTheBird

Moving in
I wanted to clarify my original post, because now, looking back, I dont think I provided enough information about the store itself.

The store is quite large and well organized. It houses many parrots in well-sized aviaries. Along with that, most of the parrots, especially the bigger ones, are seated on tall pearches around the store with many toys to play with. From what I see, the birds there look healthy and happy. I doubt that the owner only uses said suppliments to make his birds behave in such a way.

With that said, I do agree with you guys. The best way to prevent unwanted behavior is by giving the bird enough enriching activities like foraging and training.