• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Avenue Cafe

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
This thread will be a compilation of recipes for everyone to share. :)

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Submitted by Jamieo
I make a cornmeal-based bread for my small birds each week. I use it as about 60% of their diets ... the cockatiels and budgies also get pellets each day and the finches get a seed mix for finches.

I vary the things I add to the bread depending on what I have available. However, generally this is how I make it:

In a blender, puree a baked sweet potato, a tomato, 1/2 bag of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots, green beans - thawed) and couple of cups of water or juice. I like to puree this and add water until it is the consistency of a thin milkshake. I also crack an egg and add it (with the shell) to this as it purees. The shell gets ground up very finely and I don't have to worry about the birds not eating the shells.

I generally add some bee pollen capsules as well- for extra protein.

I add the puree to 4 cups of cornmeal with an occasional cup of quinoa. You can add crushed pellets as well.

This should make a thick batter, but it should NOT be as runny as cake batter.

I bake it in an iron skillet for an hour or so in a 400F oven. It's done when the edges are crispy and brown and when you can stick a fork in the center and the tines come out nice and clean.

I let it cool and store it in the refrigerator. This will last me about 4 or 5 days.

You can add spinach, peppers, seeds, or most any other vegetable or fruit. It's also a great way to get your birds to eat vegetables.

I sometimes add herbs and cayenne pepper or a couple of jalapeño peppers to the blender as I am pureeing the vegetables.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Submitted by Birdlvr466

This is a recipe from the Phoenix Landing Newsletter
Spiced Quinoa Patty-Cakes
• 1 cup quinoa
• 2 cups filtered water
• 2 medium yams or sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite-size pieces. If organic, leave the
skin on!
• 2 medium carrots, diced (and unpeeled if organic)
• 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced (seeds are fine)
• 1/2 cup almond meal
• 1/2 cup UNPROCESSED flour (ground oatmeal or garbanzo
bean or millet flours are great healthy choices).
• 1/4 cup filtered water
• 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/4 teaspoon ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line 2 baking sheets
with parchment paper.
Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under running water for a minute to remove the
natural saponin coating that may leave a slightly bitter taste. Transfer to a 2-quart saucepan and
add the water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to low and steam for 20
minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
While the quinoa is cooking, place the potato pieces in a saucepan with enough water to cover by
2 inches. Cook, uncovered, over high heat for about 6 to 8 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and
transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl and mash thoroughly.
While the quinoa and potatoes are cooking, prepare the carrots and pepper and set them aside until
the potatoes are mashed. Then, add these to the bowl with the mashed potatoes.
Add the almond meal, flour, water, celery seed, turmeric, ginger, cayenne and mix well. When the
quinoa is ready, stir it into the patty mixture and mix well to incorporate it thoroughly.
Form the quinoa mixture into 1/2-inch thick patties about 3 inches in diameter and place them on
the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn the patties over with a metal spatula and bake
for 10 minutes longer. Remove them from the oven and allow them to rest for 5 minutes for easier removal. Freeze unused portions in batches.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Submitted by Billie Faye
BF's Fresh foods for her birds in the morning....
This will give you a idea of what I do to feed my birds...everything is basically cut about the size of my thumb nail or smaller...I feed Macaws, Amazon, Conures, Greys, IRN's, Teils, Keet, Moustache, Princess of Wales, Red Rump, Too's, Lovebird this mixture....
When I talk about dark leafy greens that is including the stems, I use Cinn. powder, Cayenne Pepper and seeds, Ginger Powder, Dill, Rosemary, Parsley to flavor the brown or white rice...
Since my birds DON'T like beans, I cook them and blend them up into a mixture to add to birdy bread (another thread)
but you can add your cooked beans in here also along with Quinoa or other cooked cereals....
The greens are out of my garden still (Kale, mustard, Swiss Chard, Collard, beets, dill) Broccoli, carrots, frozen corn I buy at the store..and the apples are from the orchard down the road from me and I get them year round there...

Attachments

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Last edited by a moderator:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Awesome, thanks Bonnie:hug8:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
That is a great site. Thanks.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Recipe from Holisticbird.org
Delicious Recipe to Remove Heavy Metals

Heavy metal poisoning is a concern with birds kept in captivity. Birds can get zinc or lead poisoning from their cages, toys and other items. This recipe can be incorporated into a bird's diet in small amounts to assist the body in ridding itself of heavy metals or it can act as a preventive against heavy metal poisoning.
CORIANDER CHELATION PESTO
4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups packed fresh coriander leaves (cilantro, Chinese parsley) (vitamin A)
2/3 cup flaxseed oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 tsp dulse powder
Process the coriander and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped. Add the garlic, nuts and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Store in a dark glass jar if possible. It freezes well, so purchase coriander in season and fill enough jars to last through the year.
Coriander has been proven to chelate toxic metals from our bodies in a relatively short period of time. Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, this recipe is a powerful tissue cleanser. This pesto purportedly increases the urinary excretion of mercury, lead and aluminum, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. It is delicious on toast, baked potatoes and pasta.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great recipes :)

lissa

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa McIntyre
Sweetheart's Favourite Veggie "Brownies"

Ingredients:

Dehydrated Veggie Mix
Canned Sweet Potato or Canned Pumpkin
Egg (boil, dry then powder the shell for more calcium)
Water, as needed
Seed, nuts and/or dried fruit, optional

Instructions:

Put the dehydrated veggies in a blender (I use a Magic Bullet!) and grind until very fine; try to make about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.

Add canned pumpkin/sweet potato and egg to powdered veggies. this should make a very thick paste.

Add about 1/4 cup of water for every cup of mixture (may require a little more or less) until it makes a loose paste (think thick cake batter).

Let sit in refrigerator for 15 mintues to partially rehydrate veggies. You may need to add a bit more water after this to recreate cake batter texture.

Either drop batter by the spoonful on an oiled cookie sheet or pour into a shallow (oiled) cake pan. I use olive oil, for the Omega fatty acids.

If you wish, press seed, nuts and/or dried fruit into the batter.

Cook at 400F until crispy around the edges, and firm in the middle- a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. Times range from 10 minutes to 20 minutes, depending if the "brownies" are in cookie-form or cake-form and the particular oven. Check every 3-5 minutes after 10 minutes of cooking time to prevent burning.

Cool, cut (if required) and serve.

Keeps in the refidgerator for about a week, or up to 4-5 months in the freezer if properly sealed in a good Ziploc bag.

Notes:

I usually make the dehydrated veggie mix myself, but you can often find pre-mixed dehydrated veggies at your local grocery, bulk or health food store. Sometimes natural dog food stores also have just-veggie mixes for use with raw feeding- my favourite is Dr. Harvey's Veg-2-Bowl (always check ingredients for bird-safenes!).

I powder the veggies in my Magic Bullet, but you can use any good blender with the proper blades.

You can really vary the flavour by adding herbs, spices or even natural sweetners like honey or molasses. My bird likes italian spices (oregano, basil, parsley, hint of parmasean cheese) and pumpkin spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, molasses) best. I don't mix seed wth the batter, because I wouldnt want her to swallow an unshelled seed by mistake, but I'm sure you could if you wanted to.

Amazon Bird Lady

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Elizabeth
Thanks everyone for the websites, I need to learn how to make birdie bread :)

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
These are great! I am going to try a smaller version of the cornmeal based bread! Sounds yummy!

August33

Meeting neighbors
These all sound wonderful! I can't wait to try making on of these recipes for my little Aden! :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here is mine-from my thread
This is the first time my birdy bread really came out good. It is moist, it does not fall apart{like in the past} it tastes sweet, and the birds loved it!

:highfive:
I started out with the mash from this morning. It had organic brown rice,carrot,sweet potato, red palm oil.
top left

I used 1/2 jar organic apple baby food instead of the apple above

I made a wet mix and dry mix

wet is:
Some of the mash, 2 organic brown eggs,broccoli,persimmon,organic apple baby food-sm jar,a honey mango,
organic blueberries,papaya,canola oil,chopped almonds,organic raisins,added some bee pollen, I also threw in a little frozen sweet peas.

dry mix
1 cup each unbleached ww flour & cornmeal
2 tspn aluminum free baking powder
organic cinnamon & cayenne

For liquid I used the pure pomegranite juice, and the other juice was awesome, 18 types of organic fruits and veggies.

I baked them at 350 degrees, one a bit longer, but they did not take very long. One about 25 min, the other about 35 min. Toothpick in center proved they were done.

Last edited: