• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Avenue Cafe

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I came across this recipe on Nuts.com and think it sounds so yummy. Good for us and the birds too. I would leave the dressing off of the birds portion.
Broccoli Quinoa Salad Recipe {Gluten-Free}
Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

• Salad
  • 12 oz fresh broccoli
  • 2 cups quinoa, uncooked
  • 1 large cucumber, cubed
  • 6 oz cherry tomatoes, diced
  • 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • A pinch of black pepper
    Dressing
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 3 tbsp vinegar
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
Instructions

1. To cook the quinoa, combine one part quinoa with two parts water or broth. Bring the mixture to a boil over the stove top. Once it has reached a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook the quinoa in a rice cooker. Set aside and let cool.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, add the dressing ingredients and whisk them together thoroughly.
  3. Place the broccoli in your food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds until minced. Transfer this mixture to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add the cooked quinoa, cubed cucumber, diced tomatoes and pumpkin seeds to the large mixing bowl. Add the dressing, salt and black pepper and combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Broccoli Quinoa Salad Recipe {Gluten-Free} - The Nutty Scoop from Nuts.com

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A Simple Egg Food Recipe: Make batches small so you can make it fresh when you want to. I am making a batch today so Kobe and Tango will grow in nice flight feathers.

i hope your parrots enjoy it too

ingredients =
2 eggs
1 slice of bread
bit of olive oil

Take your two eggs and place them in a pan of boiling water.
Boil the eggs between 15 to 20 minutes. If you boil them for to long the yolk tends to go black.

After the eggs have finished boiling,
peel off their shells and place the shells on a dish.
Put the shells in a microwave and set the microwave to high,
then microwave for 5 min's.
This will make the shells go hard and brittle, ready for crushing.

Back to the eggs, now you have peeled the eggs, let them cool down
completely for 30 to 45 min's or you could leave them in a pan
of cold water to speed things up.

While the eggs are cooling we now have time to crush the
egg shells. Place the shells in a bowl and with the end of a rolling pin
start crushing and grinding the shells into small flakes.
I try to get them down to 1/8" flakes and smaller.

O.K. now we have the crushed shells, keep the shells in the bowl and roughly chop the eggs into the same bowl.
Take a folk and start mashing the eggs and shells together until you have a fine crumbly mix.

add a tiny bit of olive oil to make moist.

Now this is were the bread crumbs come in.
This is a rough guide take about 58 grams of bread crumbs and add to the mix, (or half a slice of bread per egg) start mixing the crumbs into the egg food until you get a
dry-ish crumbly mix, you will have to keep adding more bread crumbs until you get a dry and crumbly mix.

This part of the mix is optional. I like to add in some bird seed to
my mix, especially if you are going to feed it to birds what are not use to egg food, with the seeds added it will encourage birds to start pecking at it until they get use to the taste. When your birds get the taste of egg food, they will soon clear their pots.

Now the egg food is finished place it into a air tight container and keep refrigerated.
If you have made a bigger quantify place into a number of small pots and put them into the deep freezer

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some afterthoughts: I just made this recipe but I used bread crumbs. You do not want this mix to be too moist. I also put in some bird seed. My Linnies went right for the mix and ate and ate. They are such good eaters.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Just wondering should wholemeal breadcrumbs be used or doesn't matter? I'm going to make this tomorrow!
Some afterthoughts: I just made this recipe but I used bread crumbs. You do not want this mix to be too moist. I also put in some bird seed. My Linnies went right for the mix and ate and ate. They are such good eaters.
@Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think any breadcrumb type can be used. The healthier the better. Happy cooking! My birds love this mix.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
glad you made it. I used 3 eggs instead of two because that is what I had. Is your bird eating it well?

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
:yah:They love it! I am amazed! It is so easy to make I will definitely make some more. I did add a tiny amount of their seed to it. I am actually watching them eat it now!! I must say I am lucky with these two, they nibbled on some corn yesterday and like celery too! I have been cautious introducing new foods quite slowly - they are nearing 3 and 4 months old now so was worried they might bee too used to seed but they are quite adventurous with their food! May I ask, how often should I give them the egg food? Thanks again :bliss:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most welcome. Something home made just has to be better.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Birdy Oatmeal
2 cups of cold filtered water
1/2 cup of steel cut oats (Wild Harvest Organic is what I used)
3 Tablespoons Organic Flaxseeds
2 to 3 T. of chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts {I grated these}, cashews)
3 to 4 T. of unsweetened fresh finely grated coconut
2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons crushed pineapple drained
bring the water to boil, stir in the steel cut oats, turn down to low simmer and set timer for 15 minutes, stir often. after 15 minutes add the flaxseeds and stir in. set timer for another 15 minutes, stir often. the last 5 minutes stir in the nuts and stir the whole time. when done cooking add the coconut, stir until well blended. Add the pineapple and stir again. Cool in the frig overnight. I did this in flat bottomed Tupperware type dishes. you should be able to cut it into squares 1 "x 2" size (birdy portion). what you do not use you can freeze for 4 to 5 months in freezer bags.
I will be adding pictures tomorrow.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Parrot Cookies
1 cup of Zupreem flour
3 oz. of organic applesauce
2 Chia eggs ( Need a egg for your parrot recipe try this: | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum )
coconut water cold
1 teaspoon of finely shredded unsweetened coconut
2 Tablespoons of nuts ground into a paste
2 tablespoons of dried fruit.
Blend flour, chia eggs, applesauce, adding coconut water a tablespoon at a time until well moisten. add nut paste, dried fruit, coconut, stirring until blended. Chill for at least 2 hours in the frig. Dough should be firm. preheat oven to 375 degrees. I use a melon scoop to portion the uniform balls. roll each ball in hands to form tightly packed ball. place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. flatten with damp fingers and bake 20 minutes. makes 18 to 20 quarter sized cookies. they can be frozen after baking for 1 month.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Oh man, the original link isn't working.:o:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Oh man, the original link isn't working.:o:
I deleted that link and put in a few new ones-I hope they are ok:):hug8:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI

2lovingb

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gisel
Submitted by Jamieo
I make a cornmeal-based bread for my small birds each week. I use it as about 60% of their diets ... the cockatiels and budgies also get pellets each day and the finches get a seed mix for finches.

I vary the things I add to the bread depending on what I have available. However, generally this is how I make it:

In a blender, puree a baked sweet potato, a tomato, 1/2 bag of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots, green beans - thawed) and couple of cups of water or juice. I like to puree this and add water until it is the consistency of a thin milkshake. I also crack an egg and add it (with the shell) to this as it purees. The shell gets ground up very finely and I don't have to worry about the birds not eating the shells.

I generally add some bee pollen capsules as well- for extra protein.

I add the puree to 4 cups of cornmeal with an occasional cup of quinoa. You can add crushed pellets as well.

This should make a thick batter, but it should NOT be as runny as cake batter.

I bake it in an iron skillet for an hour or so in a 400F oven. It's done when the edges are crispy and brown and when you can stick a fork in the center and the tines come out nice and clean.

I let it cool and store it in the refrigerator. This will last me about 4 or 5 days.

You can add spinach, peppers, seeds, or most any other vegetable or fruit. It's also a great way to get your birds to eat vegetables.

I sometimes add herbs and cayenne pepper or a couple of jalapeño peppers to the blender as I am pureeing the vegetables.
Thank you for this awesome recipe!!!! BUT I’m assuming this is only for those budgies that are not so picky eaters!!! ? :eek: Because my 2 blue parakeets are very picky. (Which I’m hearing here it’s a common thing) I’m trying to get to know them, allow them to take their sweeeeeeeet time :rolleyes: till they get comfortable eating what they like !
I’m a new bird mommy :hla:

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
I always go to this recipe every time I make birdie bread: