• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Avenue Cafe

Quene

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Diane Thomas
BIRD COOKIES

These are a staple at our house, its a great afternoon treat. I got this recipe on another site and keep changing it using whatever I have around.

3 - cups regular oatmeal (not instant or 1 minute)
3 - cups rice or oat flour
2 - tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raw, shelled sunflower seeds
2 - eggs with shell
grated squash, apple - finely chopped broccoli or whatever
2 - cans nectar, they come in lots of varieties

I mix the dry ingredients first, lightly beat the egg so it mixes well and then add the nectar.

Spread it on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the center is no longer sticky.

brittneydee

Jogging around the block
I know this is an old post, but I just found it yesterday. Thank you Bonnie for the great site link! I've been trying to get Pelphrey to broaden his diet, and until now he turned his beak up at anything I fixed. I did a mega cooking session today with recipes from the site you linked. I made the Fruit and Nut Bars, Homemade Avicakes, Pineapple Carrot Bread, and Sweet Potato Balls. I put red palm oil in everything so no matter what he eats he'll get some each day. He hasn't sampled the fruit and nut bars yet because they are still freezing, but he nibbled on the avicakes for a while and dug into the sweet potato balls. :cheer:So far he hasn't shown much interest in the pineapple carrot bread, but I think it's just because he gorged on the other two :D And if he doesn't like the pineapple carrot bread, I'm still going to be making it weekly - it tastes AMAZING! :bliss: It smelled so good I had to take a bite, and then my four-year-old daughter and I ate two full slices before I finally tore myself away from it :lol:

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I thought I'd bump this, there was a recipe thread I made awhile back... but I can't find it. I need to re-do my recipe book. Can't wait to hear more recipes, and remember we love pictures!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
BIRD COOKIES

These are a staple at our house, its a great afternoon treat. I got this recipe on another site and keep changing it using whatever I have around.

3 - cups regular oatmeal (not instant or 1 minute)
3 - cups rice or oat flour
2 - tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raw, shelled sunflower seeds
2 - eggs with shell
grated squash, apple - finely chopped broccoli or whatever
2 - cans nectar, they come in lots of varieties

I mix the dry ingredients first, lightly beat the egg so it mixes well and then add the nectar.

Spread it on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the center is no longer sticky.

I want to note here~eggs with shells are not recommended, unless the shells are ground to a powder. It has been written by Billie Faye and others, that eggshells in pieces can be dangerous, damaging internal organs.
I do not use them. A safer alternative is a little cuttlebone shaved into the mix, to add calcium.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I want to note here~eggs with shells are not recommended, unless the shells are ground to a powder. It has been written by Billie Faye and others, that eggshells in pieces can be dangerous, damaging internal organs.
I do not use them. A safer alternative is a little cuttlebone shaved into the mix, to add calcium.
I didn't know this.. thanks for that head's up, I'll be using cuttlebone instead. Awsome recipes everyone!:D I'll add some of mine soon, once I get more time.

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
i just found this...love the recipes here!!!

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
these look yummy. i want some more :D

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Made the blueberry millet muffins!

But I changed it to banana apple Seed mix muffins haha

sunnyNshandy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
That blueberry millet muffin recipe has Sunny and Shandy's name written all over it. If one wouldnt have petamine, what could be used as a replacement do you think?

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I find it hard to use any of the recipes for just one bird and find it easier to a site for the bird from our food (taken before seasoning ) :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I find it hard to use any of the recipes for just one bird and find it easier to a site for the bird from our food (taken before seasoning ) :)
I love making a big batch of many of these recipes. Then I freeze in small batches in zip bags. Every morning my guys have birdy bread or chop, or quinoa pilaf, full of veggies. Three weeks of meals, a couple of hours of cooking every several weeks. Works great for me!

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I love making a big batch of many of these recipes. Then I freeze in small batches in zip bags. Every morning my guys have birdy bread or chop, or quinoa pilaf, full of veggies. Three weeks of meals, a couple of hours of cooking every several weeks. Works great for me!
I don't have much freezer space and I cook every day for my family anyway. Since there is no day where we don't have a salad or veggies there is always something fresh for our bird too :)

Wattanasmith

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wattana smith
Submitted by Billie Faye
BF's Fresh foods for her birds in the morning....
This will give you a idea of what I do to feed my birds...everything is basically cut about the size of my thumb nail or smaller...I feed Macaws, Amazon, Conures, Greys, IRN's, Teils, Keet, Moustache, Princess of Wales, Red Rump, Too's, Lovebird this mixture....
When I talk about dark leafy greens that is including the stems, I use Cinn. powder, Cayenne Pepper and seeds, Ginger Powder, Dill, Rosemary, Parsley to flavor the brown or white rice...
Since my birds DON'T like beans, I cook them and blend them up into a mixture to add to birdy bread (another thread)
but you can add your cooked beans in here also along with Quinoa or other cooked cereals....
The greens are out of my garden still (Kale, mustard, Swiss Chard, Collard, beets, dill) Broccoli, carrots, frozen corn I buy at the store..and the apples are from the orchard down the road from me and I get them year round there...
need to try this one for my preference and favorite friend. i think that would really be healthier for my bird to eat:dance4:

kookaburra

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Yvonne

:omg: I didn't realize that egg shell pieces could be dangerous! Thank you for sharing this!!

Nev

Walking the driveway
I can't wait to try some of the recipes for Lukah!

Nev

Walking the driveway
Any suggestions for a good starter birdie bread? Lukah seems to dislike bananas and vegetables for far, but eats all other fruits that I have tried.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I want to note here~eggs with shells are not recommended, unless the shells are ground to a powder. It has been written by Billie Faye and others, that eggshells in pieces can be dangerous, damaging internal organs. I do not use them. A safer alternative is a little cuttlebone shaved into the mix, to add calcium.
This is awesome to know about being able to use cuttlebone! My baby wont use her cuttlebone or her mineral block (except as a perch!) so I will definitely be using it for this. Now, how much is 'little'? (Pinch, 1/2 tsp.)