• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Adventures Chiquita cage where should I order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Does anyone know the best site to buy this cage from?
I bought a cage that is a bit big for Tiki and I am selling it to buy that cage,
I see it for around 315$
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get it cheaper or where has the best service.

And also is this cage big enough?
I would like to go small without making him uncomfortable.
He's very active, but he is out almost all day and begs
to be out of his cage even though it's way big anyways.
I am getting the playtop model he loves his playtop and spends on average 8-10 hours on it a day,
although I am buying a separate playstand so it wont be AS important.

Thanks!:dance4:

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Lol he is a hahns macaw. Tiny but very active.

That is the dometop version though I need the playtop version.

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
Bird Cages

All Pet Furniture has is for $269.99 including shipping. I've gotten the majority of my cages from there as they are almost always the cheapest place. They have super fast shipping to boot.

Oops didn't read well. The playtop is $314.99 but it also includes shipping.

http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Avian-Adventures-170500200-X-AVD1001.html

Second edit lol-

Petco has it for $299 and is currently offering free shipping

http://www.petco.com/product/12868/Avian-Adventures-Chiquita-Playtop-Bird-Cages.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMShopzilla-_-Bird-_-Avian%20Adventures-_-388513&mr:referralID=d0411788-ca4f-11de-9c03-000423bb4e79

Last edited:

MorningGloria

Real Name
Celeste
As far as your other questions, I don't know much about Hahn's but I understand they're very similar in activity to conures and the ones I have seen are only slightly bigger than my Gold cap. That said, I think that size would be fine for what you are planning to do. I definitely wouldn't keep him in something that size all day, but as a resting place of sorts I personally think it would work well.

I would suggest the seperate play stand you buy be more of a play gym unless you are planning on expanding the space with hanging toys and nets like I've seen a lot of other perchies do quite successfully. Even though it's the top of the cage, 8-10 hours is a long time to spend on something that's on the small side. You can only be but so active in such a space.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on Hahn's can give you better advice. Good luck, a new cage is always fun :)

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Well it's 8-10 hours out of the cage time I didn't specifically mean he is sitting on his top perch all day with nothing to do lol.
Sometimes he is on us, sometimes he is on a gym, alot of time he spends going in and out of his cage and playing.

I actually mix and match things on the top of his cage all the time to keep him entertained because he is SO active. I give him a bucket of foot toys to go through and usually have two sets of toys I switch up. I put a little bath up there, or fill the bath with toys and seed instead for him to "forage"

He is about the size of a sun conure/cockatiel. He's small. But I believe more active than a conure.

Here is the playstand I ordered.

I am planning on putting a boing, or net, or both, along with quite a bit of toys and still thinking of ways to get the most out of it. I'm sure he will use every inch.

Spinderella

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chloe
I have that gym. I like it! That silver thing on the left that has what appears to be gum drops is a skewer that you can put toys or food on! It's awesome.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I have that gym. I like it! That silver thing on the left that has what appears to be gum drops is a skewer that you can put toys or food on! It's awesome.
Do you think I could attach a climbing net to one of the sides or back? I hate buying things and not being able to see them up close!
To me it looks like maneuvering through the whole gym would be a challenge. Without adding maybe some ropes, chains, boing etc.
But I'm only going off the picture I see. What do you think?

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Do you think I could attach a climbing net to one of the sides or back? I hate buying things and not being able to see them up close!
To me it looks like maneuvering through the whole gym would be a challenge. Without adding maybe some ropes, chains, boing etc.
But I'm only going off the picture I see. What do you think?
Yes, for my Quaker, manuevering is very hard. =/ The main ladder that you see is very steep, and even after she climbs up the ladder, she can't get herself up onto that main perch.

But I think you could add nets. That toy hanging thing on the top comes off, so you can attach the corners of the net to the edges of the horizontal top perch.

You can customize this gym pretty easily/well for your use. I had to glue sand to the wooden perches & that U shaped ladder on the left, and wrap jute around the metal parts because my Quaker couldn't get good footing anywhere on the gym.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
The one thing I don't like is that there is a slide out tray on that gym, but no grate. I would've preferred a grate since my Quaker has been known to eat her own poop. (She's real classy like that)

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
LOL I have yet to see Tiki eat poop, he is known to tear up some newspaper though.

He is pretty good at moving around but I think I will do the rope around the metal parts, and hopefully a climbing net and a boing.
Do you have any pictures of yours with the improvements you made? I would like to see it if you do please! :)

MorningGloria

Real Name
Celeste
Well it's 8-10 hours out of the cage time I didn't specifically mean he is sitting on his top perch all day with nothing to do lol.
Sometimes he is on us, sometimes he is on a gym, alot of time he spends going in and out of his cage and playing.

I actually mix and match things on the top of his cage all the time to keep him entertained because he is SO active. I give him a bucket of foot toys to go through and usually have two sets of toys I switch up. I put a little bath up there, or fill the bath with toys and seed instead for him to "forage"

He is about the size of a sun conure/cockatiel. He's small. But I believe more active than a conure.

Here is the playstand I ordered.

I am planning on putting a boing, or net, or both, along with quite a bit of toys and still thinking of ways to get the most out of it. I'm sure he will use every inch.
Oh ok I didn't quite understand. If you're giving him the option to be where he wants I think it'll definitely work great.

There are a lot of pics in the set ups thread that show all sorts of neat ideas for things to do with a play gym. I also really like the play gym you picked. I am thinking of getting a similar one for Archy, but I'm not sure how he'll react to all that metal. I've been going back and forth between one of those and one of the King's Java gyms.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
LOL I have yet to see Tiki eat poop, he is known to tear up some newspaper though.

He is pretty good at moving around but I think I will do the rope around the metal parts, and hopefully a climbing net and a boing.
Do you have any pictures of yours with the improvements you made? I would like to see it if you do please! :)
I sure do!

This is the jute & sand I put on it:

This is so that she can pull herself up onto the perch, from the really steep ladder:

I am not very creative... I could have put more effort into it, but she only uses it as a landing pad. She does not play with her toys or sit on her gym when she's out & about. She just flies over to me. =/ She's too dependent on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.