• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Average lifespan of a Grey in captivity

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Just one consideration. Despite the poor diets that can claim the lives of many pets.

Wild parrots live very hard lives. If they make it to adulthood they are lucky. Then they spend their entire life at the mercy of seasonal plenty and predator avoidance..not to mention if they ever have an accident it is a death sentence.

Lifespans in the wild will reflect the average and many birds sadly don't make it. It is hard to be a prey animal :(

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm thankful I came across this site. I just had to have my Grey put to sleep on 11/3/2019 due to a sudden onset of heart failure and liver failure. Jekyll was 44 years old. This was all very sudden. I was under the impression that Grey's lived to be much older. I was beating myself up wondering what I may have done wrong. Jekyll was not on high fat food nor on seed of any kind. She had a daily routine for flying to different locations in the house. Her cage, when in it, was large enough to flap her wings. She was rarely alone and quite active. After reading all of these posts, I now feel a little relieved that it appears she actually lived a fairly long life for being in captivity. Thank you for this site and, specifically, this thread.
I'm sorry for your loss! :sorrow:

berries

Strolling the yard
I recently came into a CAG whose lifelong owner said he was born in the late 70s or early 80s. Until reading this I was under the impression that they had a lifespan of closer to 60 years. Its pretty concerning knowing that he likely won't be around as long as planned and not knowing his exact age. All the more reason to keep him on a healthy diet and exercise regimine.