• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Average Bird Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holli
Very cool posting. Thanks :dance5:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

I weighed Kaycee today then had no clue how much an IRN is supposed to weigh so i had to go look it up :D

she's 118G - their average is 115 Grams -

but I am glad to see that Gumby's weight is coming back up - her issue must of been due to a heavy molt

I weighed her on Aug. 2 she was 123 Grams, Sept 2 she was 113 Grams, Sept 9th she was 114 Grams today (Nov 3) she's 124 Grams

and to have an example of each bird is different In Quakers The Girls are supposed to be bigger /weigh more than the boys Back in August I also Weighed Billy and he was 131 Grams but to put them side by side Gumby looks like she should out weigh him lol

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Thanks for that! Very helpful. Koba is right in there at 350 grams. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky usually weighs around 78-80g

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, great site!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Glad it helped :)

I had it saved a long time ago and my computer crashed and I just now found it again I was glad I did :)

Mommyofgus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
Thanks for the information. Gus (YSGC)usually weighs 68 grams and Kendall usually weighs 58 to 61 grams. a little under the normal weight for green cheek.

Besta3

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jackie
I was told that Baby is a magna DYH. I am curious if there is any info on that and is size what makes her magna? I was kind of worried that she was losing weight. I moved the vet visit to Jan. because it seemed senseless to go after 4 weeks, but I am thinking I should have just to monitor weight. I have finally found a few foods that she'll actually eat. I bought this sprouting kit from China Prairie and think I got enough seed for the next year. Or maybe, hmmmm could I subconsciously be planning an addition?

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I just read the blue crowned conure weight and it says 84-100...that is quite off as Bonnie was just weighed at 158 grams.....

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
I was told that Baby is a magna DYH. I am curious if there is any info on that and is size what makes her magna? I was kind of worried that she was losing weight. I moved the vet visit to Jan. because it seemed senseless to go after 4 weeks, but I am thinking I should have just to monitor weight. I have finally found a few foods that she'll actually eat. I bought this sprouting kit from China Prairie and think I got enough seed for the next year. Or maybe, hmmmm could I subconsciously be planning an addition?
I am doing some research on magnas and they seem to be a subspecies of double yellow head with much more yellow on the head and red on the wings and get the colors younger. They are also supposed to be much larger than the normal double yellow heads.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
My Sam mealy is 90 g less than the low range of the mealies. Should I be concerned? She sure eats well and healthy, has beautiful feathering, flies and vocalizes a lot, and is the picture of good health, though. :( She doesn't look like she needs fattening up.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I just called my vet's office, and they confirmed that Sam Mealy was
744 g when I first brought her in last June. I remember her being super heavy. Now she feels very trim and light at only 450. They said I shouldn't be concerned if she is eating well, looking and feeling good because she was way overweight before.

Here's a before and after picture. May of 2009 and....
Sam 5-12.jpg
today, with Ollie. They don't look that different in size.
DSCN2718.JPG
Ollie weighs in at 380 g.

Sam never got exercised before (in a very small cage, never flew) and was on a seed diet. Now her main staple is fresh foods, and she flies up a storm. I think that accounts for the weight difference.

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
She could become a avian weight watchers model :) She looks healthy!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
She could become a avian weight watchers model :) She looks healthy!
:rofl: :rofl: That's funny, but true!

She looks like a totally different bird. I kind of thought she looked cute when chubby....like an avian Pillsbury Dough Boy!

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
Thanks, this is extremely useful! I've always wonder, and when I searched I could never find the answer! My deceased PFLB was underweight! He weighed 41g the day before he died. Our last PFLB weighs 46g which is within range, but the vet says she could use a few more grams!

Bookmarked!

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Thank you for posting this! I was looking for a chart :cool1:

WOW Monica! Sam was super cute chunky, I just wanna squeeze her >.< But she looks in very very good shape! How old is Sam now?
Charlie's 703g, I think there's a pretty noticeable size difference in male and female mealies though.

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
pippins 20 grams off and my vet said he is FAT! (then aging my vets not the best)

Status
Not open for further replies.